New GEM madness..

All Linux talk goes here. Technical talk. No Distro politics, please use the "General" forum for that
Gatsby
Sanitation Engineer

New GEM madness..

Post by Gatsby »

After syncing the gentoo repository today I found that dev-lang/python-3.9.9 was bumped to python-3.9.9-r1.
The only relevant difference between the two ebuilds was this:

~$ diff -u python-3.9.9.ebuild python-3.9.9-r1.ebuild
--- python-3.9.9.ebuild 2022-01-09 13:11:23.400124582 +0100
+++ python-3.9.9-r1.ebuild 2022-01-09 13:10:49.400054153 +0100
@@ -1,4 +1,4 @@
-# Copyright 1999-2021 Gentoo Authors
+# Copyright 1999-2022 Gentoo Authors
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2

EAPI="7"
@@ -34,6 +34,7 @@

RDEPEND="app-arch/bzip2:=
app-arch/xz-utils:=
+ dev-lang/python-exec[python_targets_python3_9(-)]
dev-libs/libffi:=
sys-apps/util-linux:=
>=sys-libs/zlib-1.1.3:=

The new kde-frameworks/*:5.90.0 packages depend on this dev-lang/python-3.9.9-r1 package.
The result was that portage wanted to rebuild +440 packages, with kde-frameworks only being 76 to update.

At the end I avoided these rebuilds by modifying the dev-lang/python-3.9.9-r1.ebuild as a temporary solution.
The kde-frameworks packages emerged anyway. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Γνωθι σεαυτον.

"Gentoo linux wouldn't be so bad, if some of its "developers" didn't suck."
-- courtesy of Bones McCracker :D
Naib
Site Admin

Re: New GEM madness..

Post by Naib »

what the hell oO

This is the commit:
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.g ... 497941de56

And it appears to come back to their poor decision and handling of python select. Noone thought that MAYBE just MAYBE if you are adding a python runtime, that MAYBE just MAYBE it would be a good idea to inform python-exec that it exists ...
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

I've long blocked out a lot of [stupid|nonsensical] changes from the GEMs.
It has made my local repo grow but that's a price I pay for not following the insane update path they're on.

Meanwhile funtoo is still using python 2.7 and 3.7, with no higher versions on tap.
I've blocked out python 3.10 as I see no compelling need to rush to a new version just because it's out.
And I've started moving away from EAPI 8 back to 7 where funtoo is anyway.

I'm looking into converting my running gentoo into funtoo. I'm sick of gormy and co.
Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.

Local portage repo, opentmpfiles copy
List of wayland apps/compositors
Gatsby
Sanitation Engineer

Post by Gatsby »

otw-refugee wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:25 pm I've long blocked out a lot of [stupid|nonsensical] changes from the GEMs.
It has made my local repo grow but that's a price I pay for not following the insane update path they're on.
I'm sick of gormy and co.
So am I.
Daily they introduce new nonsensical changes, causing us users more and more unnecessary work to keep them out of our systems. It is really unnerving.
Γνωθι σεαυτον.

saellaven
Creator of Opportunities

Post by saellaven »

I also enjoy the handwaving that, removing the KERNEL flag in bulk wasn't wasteful vs just removing it on the next revision of the packages. I had 49 packages wanting to rebuild, including monsters like ungoogled-chromium, which then got updated to a new version a couple days later.

Code: Select all

Wed Jan  5 02:29:08 2022 >>> www-client/ungoogled-chromium-96.0.4664.110-r1
       merge time: 3 hours, 29 minutes and 45 seconds.

Sat Jan  8 06:39:18 2022 >>> www-client/ungoogled-chromium-97.0.4692.71-r1
       merge time: 3 hours, 18 minutes and 10 seconds.
Now multiply that times however many Gentoo users there are, keeping in mind that I'm on a relatively modern/fast system and not trying to extend the life of my 10+ year old machine.

I get wanting to clean up unused flags, but there are much better ways to go about it. The GEMs took the path that required the least amount of work from them, regardless of the consequences for the end users.

Of course, this is part of why systemd got pushed, even though it was never hard to write init scripts in shell.

As for their statement that you should be using -U instead of -N, there have been times in the past that -U wasn't enough to properly update my systems, so -N became my default flag (I don't remember the details and maybe the logic has gotten better since then).
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

The GEMs seem to be doing their damnest to wear peoples machines out with the silly upgrade path they provide.
They make it hard to keep the latest version as it gets immediately deleted in favor of whatever the latest of the moment is.

Even though it's more work (on me) I've started looking at all changes and the reason for them, and if they don't make sense (to me) I bypass it.

Gatsby
Sanitation Engineer

Post by Gatsby »

otw-refugee wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:24 pm They make it hard to keep the latest version as it gets immediately deleted in favor of whatever the latest of the moment is.
Yeah, sometimes the older deleted version isn't easy to retrieve. So it is advisable to copy it back from a second not yet re-synced machine. :D
Γνωθι σεαυτον.

otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

I went ahead and bit the bullet, copied all current ebuilds to local repo, and added "*/*::gentoo" to package.mask.

I can still see what portage wants to update if I comment out the mask, and then I can decide if I really want to upgrade whatever package.
I also pulled over the revelant eclasses, so that the local repo is self-sustaining, doesn't need to look at or use gentoo repo for anything.

I couldn't decide whether to go this way, or just bite the bullet and convert to funtoo.
With gentoo, I wound up masking lots of packages (like the python-3.9.9-r1 which everything was wanting me to update to :roll: )
Or funtoo, where I would still be creating some ebuilds as they aren't as up to date for things like wayland.

In the end I just decided to stop portage where it is, and just update the few things I really need, when they need it, rather than fight the GEM's daily madness.

Last major thing I need to do is create my own profile, with masking, etc the way I want it, rather than be surprised that some GEM got a wild hair and things don't work smoothly anymore (like the python 3.9.9-r1 bs)

Gatsby
Sanitation Engineer

Post by Gatsby »

Hi Moose, :D
otw-refugee wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:37 pm In the end I just decided to stop portage where it is, and just update the few things I really need, when they need it, rather than fight the GEM's daily madness.
I stopped portage at version 3.0.19, to be protected from unwelcome surprises on part of the GEM.
otw-refugee wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:37 pm Last major thing I need to do is create my own profile, with masking, etc the way I want it, rather than be surprised that some GEM got a wild hair and things don't work smoothly anymore (like the python 3.9.9-r1 bs)
I never "updated" to profle 17.1 - and never will -. Instead I keep a local version of a customized profile 17.0.
Last not least a local repository with all needed eclasses and selected/customized ebuilds for all systemically relevant packages. Although it is sometimes tiresome, it is worth the extra work, so I can keep the GEM at bay. :evil:

Greetings, Gatsby
Γνωθι σεαυτον.