Depreciation of old tech

All things gaming related
Naib
Site Admin

Depreciation of old tech

Post by Naib »

https://kotaku.com/sony-planning-to-mak ... 1847801952

This is actually one of the reasons I stay clear of SONY (minidisc anyone) and why I stay on the PC for gaming. This depreciation of proprietary fronts is a curse
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
etnull
Director of Sandbags

Re: Depreciation of old tech

Post by etnull »

PC isn't much better recently, with all this DRM. Doom Eternal was originally available for Linux, then they added anti-cheat (i.e. a ring0 spyware), and obviously it borked it for Linux users and Valve removed Linux support retroactively. I'm even more frightened that somebody will develop ring0 spyware for Linux and Linus accepts it upstream, that will be the end of Linux for me personally.
"You'll own nothing, - And you'll be happy." - Klaus Schwab, Founder and executive chairman of the World Economic Forum.
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

etnull wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:01 pm PC isn't much better recently, with all this DRM. Doom Eternal was originally available for Linux, then they added anti-cheat (i.e. a ring0 spyware), and obviously it borked it for Linux users and Valve removed Linux support retroactively. I'm even more frightened that somebody will develop ring0 spyware for Linux and Linus accepts it upstream, that will be the end of Linux for me personally.
Does CONFIG_INTEL_MEI count?
Genuine question, I'm not being sarcy for once.
Foor stairs
etnull
Director of Sandbags

Post by etnull »

mrbassie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:57 pm Does CONFIG_INTEL_MEI count?
Well if you think you can be a target for Intel/US gov. then sure, it does count.
But I think giving MEI to every single game dev on the planet is kind of different scale of bad, don't you think?
"You'll own nothing, - And you'll be happy." - Klaus Schwab, Founder and executive chairman of the World Economic Forum.
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

ring0 spyware

systemd

:lol:
Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.

Local portage repo, opentmpfiles copy
List of wayland apps/compositors
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

etnull wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:10 pm
mrbassie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:57 pm Does CONFIG_INTEL_MEI count?
Well if you think you can be a target for Intel/US gov. then sure, it does count.
But I think giving MEI to every single game dev on the planet is kind of different scale of bad, don't you think?
I suppose it would.
Foor stairs
notageek
Site Admin

Post by notageek »

Deprecation not depreciation.
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Talking about old tech, anybody know if is there any actual use of vintage machines these days, aside from collector's value ? Old JB's got a couple of Amigas lying about and a speccy - caps have probably chucked up everywhere by now.

At least I think they're still in the loft. They were about 20 yrs ago.
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
Shta
Chief of Unicorn Division

Post by Shta »

I've been recently thinking about technology that could be useful those days for building highly resilient news sharing platforms. Something that would survive technical issues, like power/internet outage's, and also be able to resist government mandates.
I came up with a decentralized set of independent nodes, where each node would primarily serve its local users, but also be able to exchange data with the other nodes.... So, it turns out I invented Usenet

So... Give those Amigas a chance :lol: