Abiword sudden bug

All things Programming
Tony0945
Chief of Unicorn Division

Abiword sudden bug

Post by Tony0945 »

Since I converted to 17.1 abiword crashes on copy. I highlight some text, click "copy" in the menu or click the "middle mouse button: and the program disappears.

lowriter works, but sees to be stuck on 10 point text, I prefer 16 point so that i don't need a magnifying glass to read it.

Three choices:
1. try to debug abiword that has always worked good.
2. put up with the tiny display in lowriter
3. try real Microsoft word in wine.

Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions?
Could the switch to global use flag "introspection" have anything to do with this.

I can't really write letters with nano.
antae
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Re: Abiword sudden bug

Post by antae »

Hi Tony0945,

Sometimes I need to read docs received from financial department,
and I use app-office/libreoffice-bin for opening these documents.
This could be option #4
My opinion ^_^ may differ from yours. That's OK. Difference makes us humans, not robots.
Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

option #5 change screen resolution to 640x480

as to the crash... is this gentoo? can you downgrade, any specific use-flag? did this also align with gcc-11 and BOOST upgrade? you might need a few dependencies rebuilt

As to the need? are you after opening doc andor ooxml? or just writing formatted text? I am using Jupyter more and more, even for writing stuff as markdown covers almost all formatting needs. There is google-docs or O365 (their free version isn't too gimped) if you don't mind cloud stuff
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Tony0945

Post by Tony0945 »

It just happened this morning to palemoon. Last night I reinsttalled libreoffice-bin with -p, resukring in 285 emerges.

The last install had a QA message
" * QA Notice: Symbolic link /usr/lib64/libreoffice/sdk/classes points to /usr/share/libreoffice/sdk/classes which does not exist." I'm thinking this is due to 17.1 and wondering if I should revertt.
Something is broken really deep. Gtk?
Tony0945

Post by Tony0945 »

Naib wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:44 am option #5 change screen resolution to 640x480
Not an option.

Yes, it's gentoo. Since so many things were re-built, I don't know about boost. I do know it was rebuilt. And that it is happening on two of the three machines that went to 17.1. I haven't tried the third machine yet. Opening .abi. But I was just copying from the browser and and it happens there too. So something in X or a library. I CAN cut from nano without a crash.

Not using latest Xorg because libinput does not work for me. When I followed the news item, I get no keyword, no mouse.

UPDATE: This happened at the time of the python 9 "Upgrade"
Tony0945

Post by Tony0945 »

antae wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:06 am Hi Tony0945,

Sometimes I need to read docs received from financial department,
and I use app-office/libreoffice-bin for opening these documents.
This could be option #4
Yes, lowriter is the libreoffice-bin app for this.
it displays the document as sheet of paper on mybe 2/3's of the screen in 0 point font.
I change the font but next time it loads, it's back to 10 point. Any tips on getting a better display?
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.

Local portage repo, opentmpfiles copy
List of wayland apps/compositors
antae
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by antae »

I have emerged abiword 3.0.4 and it also crashes on my side.
Control-C, Control-Insert, Right Click - these combinations lead to crash in 100% cases
Sometimes abiword crashes when I select a part of text, either using Shift-Arrows or with a mouse.
And there's only one version 3.0.4 available in portage :(
Tony0945 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:38 pm " * QA Notice: Symbolic link /usr/lib64/libreoffice/sdk/classes points to /usr/share/libreoffice/sdk/classes which does not exist."
This directory is absent on my laptop too
My opinion ^_^ may differ from yours. That's OK. Difference makes us humans, not robots.
Tony0945

Post by Tony0945 »

I tried installing outside of portage from an Ubuntu guide. It was just use wget to get the tarball, untar, step in, run configure, run make, run make-install, without all the ebuild patches, and modifications. It installed into /usr/local/bin and came up okay. When I tried to copy, CRASH!

Then I built with emerge, passing the debug flag. A lot of hex output on the screen (launched from an xterm) then when highlighted a word and click "copy", the program crashed and debug just said. "Oh! No! I crashed!"

I seem to have fixed my other programs by deleting old libraries from /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib32 and /usr/local/lib

My proximate problem was solved by opening the program with lowriter and saving as .txt. That .txrt file can be opened with nano and the mouse used to copy. It's just white on black instead of black on white.

The shrinkage in lowriter was solved by selecting "display in web mode", although it has noting to do with the web.
I suspect the root crash has to do with gtk+, although I've emerged it several times.
Tony0945

Post by Tony0945 »

Thanks for the Jupyter suggestion. I went to emerge it and portage wanted to install 84 packages, all dev-python.
I can imagine the herfluffle when python 3.10 comes areound. I appreciate the suggestion. Very much. But I'm trying to minimize python and the monthly weekend long python-update-fests.
antae
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by antae »

Tony0945 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:01 am I'm trying to minimize python and the monthly weekend long python-update-fests.
Have you tried running python applications in docker container? I use Ansible at work, and if I emerge it - this brings +54 python packages, and sometimes these packages conflict with dependencies brought by awscli which is also python scripts. I started to run Ansible and awscli from docker image. Pros: I do not need to install additional python packages on my system. Cons: need to install docker and gain some knowledge of it

Jupyter can be dockerized too.

1. create working directory

Code: Select all

$ mkdir ~/tmp/jupyter-docker
$ cd ~/tmp/jupyter-docker
2. create a file named Dockerfile - this is a recipe for docker how to build an image, here I used centos:7 as a base image.

FROM centos:7

ARG UID=1000
ARG GID=1000

RUN groupadd -g $GID -o testusr
RUN useradd -m -u $UID -g $GID -o -s /bin/bash testusr

RUN yum install -y python3
RUN python3 -m pip install jupyter notebook

USER testusr

RUN mkdir /home/testusr/notebooks

CMD jupyter notebook --ip 0.0.0.0 --notebook-dir=/home/testusr/notebooks
3. Then build image (this is needed only for the first time or if we need to modify docker image)

$ docker build --build-arg UID=$(id -u) --build-arg GID=$(id -g) -t jupyter-image .
Successfully built 06b3df155475
Successfully tagged jupyter-image:latest
4. `jupyter-image:latest` - is a human readable name of the image. Now we can run it,
--rm - tell docker to delete container after exit (so no need to delete it manually)
-p 8888:8888 - port mapping so it is possible to communicate with jupiter web server
-v $(pwd)/notebooks:/home/testusr/notebooks - mount current directory inside image - this is our workspace
-ti - do not detach terminal, we can see log messages and press Ctrl-C any time

Create notebooks dir if not created before

mkdir -p notebooks
And run jupyter from docker image

$ docker run --rm -p 8888:8888 -v $(pwd)/notebooks:/home/testusr/notebooks -ti jupyter-image:latest
To access the notebook, open this file in a browser:
        file:///home/testusr/.local/share/jupyter/runtime/nbserver-1-open.html
    Or copy and paste one of these URLs:
        http://0b3f80e546b5:8888/?token=2ba632ab829786b4df9e36530319a304426eeed2a18d1c06
     or http://127.0.0.1:8888/?token=2ba632ab829786b4df9e36530319a304426eeed2a18d1c06
The right link is the link which contain 127.0.0.1, copy it and paste into browser.
Voila, You will see running notebook
Ralphred

Post by Ralphred »

Tony0945 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:27 amI can't really write letters with nano.
Real men write letters with sed...
Were Dante alive today, he would agree that the tenth circle of hell is reserved for people who have non-ANSII characters in online usernames.
Tony0945

Post by Tony0945 »

antae wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:57 am Have you tried running python applications in docker container? I use Ansible at work, and if I emerge it - this brings +54 python packages, and sometimes these packages conflict with dependencies brought by awscli which is also python scripts. I started to run Ansible and awscli from docker image. Pros: I do not need to install additional python packages on my system. Cons: need to install docker and gain some knowledge of it

Jupyter can be dockerized too.

Thanks for the derailed instructions. I have never run Docker. What's it's advantage over Virtualbox?
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

Docker is supposed to be a virtual world for an application, all the dependencies that it needs are in the image.
The pro, ALL dependencies are in the container
The con, if you have a lot of containers you'll have duplicates of those dependencies, not much of a con if only using one or two containers.

antae
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by antae »

Virtualbox emulates hardware, additional efforts are needed to keep a separate operating system up to date, and this is time consuming thing. Virtualbox virtual machine - this is a separate OS, separate kernel, separate hardware, long start time, extra RAM usage and so on.
Docker does not emulate hardware, in works on different principle - it puts a new process into separate namespaces (see details man 7 namespaces), and the process can not access other resources outside his namespaces - this is how docker isolate our process. Immediate application startup. Easy to build an image. Remember chroot environments, where we had to put all the required libraries? Docker images look like that inside, like a filesystem, both chroot and docker do not introduce additional CPU expenses on running new applications. Image can be published and shared with other people, and it will work and behave the same way as on your computer - reproducible run of application. Imagine the next situation: an user asks a help on f.g.o. and says "guys, you can pull the image here" - and everyone who pulled the image can see the exact error message on his machine, he can enter into the running container and investigate what is wrong directly (something possible with VM snapshots but they are much bigger in size and it may depend on specific hypervisor). Base image can be created from any linux ditribution, for example, I use base images from Alpine Linux. It is impossible to change the image after it was baked - but it is possible to create a new image based on the old one. Also docker configures network, so users don't need to play with iptables/dnsmasq/dhcp - this is already provided out of the box. Cluster solutions, like run 500 applications or scale their number in distributed cluster - microservices approach.
There are other tools which can do similar things, like podman or lxc. Docker is more userfrendlier and much easier.
Tony0945

Post by Tony0945 »

antae wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:10 pm I have emerged abiword 3.0.4 and it also crashes on my side.
Control-C, Control-Insert, Right Click - these combinations lead to crash in 100% cases
Sometimes abiword crashes when I select a part of text, either using Shift-Arrows or with a mouse.
And there's only one version 3.0.4 available in portage :(
Tony0945 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:38 pm " * QA Notice: Symbolic link /usr/lib64/libreoffice/sdk/classes points to /usr/share/libreoffice/sdk/classes which does not exist."
This directory is absent on my laptop too
I found a workaround. Just highlight the text with the mouse. Don't use the menu. the highlighted text is already copied to the X clipboard and will copy into xterm and palemoon (my two test cases).
Tony0945

Post by Tony0945 »

A better fix!

I discovered that gcc 10.3.0 fails to build openrc 0.17. The issue seems legitimate. a header file omits "extern" resulting in double declaration of two variables.
I went back to 9.3.0 (which should have caught this also) and did an emerge empty-tree which rebuilt 876 packages (I excluded dev-python/* and dev-perl/*). Lo and behold! Abiword copy works correctly again.

On reflection, I should have rebuilt world with the new gcc instead of the old, but I would have had more package breakage. seems like something Gentoo dev's should be doing instead of stalking the forums looking for deviant thought.
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

gcc 10 and above have the no-common flag set, which hollers about things like having declarations in more than one file.
gcc 9.3 would also do the same thing if no-common flag were set.

To enable pre 10 behavior just pass the -fcommon flag to gcc. But I wouldn't do it on more than one or two packages, in other words not global.

Best to just create a patch changing the multiple declarations to one proper one and the others extern, then it would compile on all versions.

Tony0945

Post by Tony0945 »

otw-refugee wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:00 pmBest to just create a patch changing the multiple declarations to one proper one and the others extern, then it would compile on all versions.
Yes.