Designated Hitter

Those things done by skilled people and watched by those that are not
cokey
Extreme Unicyclist

Designated Hitter

Post by cokey »

Just saw it on Deep Space 9. I heard it on something before and it seems contentious.

Please explain what it is and why you think it's good or bad
saellaven
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Re: Designated Hitter

Post by saellaven »

I initially read that as "Designated Hitler"... too much politics talk. :lol:

A designated hitter is someone that goes up to bat in place of the pitcher, since pitchers tend to not be great batters.

Pro: The DH is a better batter than pitchers, giving more offense to the game

Con: Not all players are treated equally, allowing teams to focus in on (two, technically more since teams have several pitchers) specific players rather than one more well rounded player that can do both.

My opinion? I don't really care, I stopped watching baseball 30 years ago... I just wanted to comment on the Hitler thing, :P
Spent
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by Spent »

I like the DH. It's better than watching the pitcher strike out 3 times in a game.

The players union also likes the DH. It enables older players or players with injuries that can no longer play in the field on an everyday basis, but can still hit, to extend their careers.
cokey
Extreme Unicyclist

Post by cokey »

Interesting.

In cricket you have those who are better at batting at the beginning and they usually get steadily worse the further down the order you get. In the middle you often get one or maybe two (if the team is lucky to have them) "all-rounders" who can do both. It's very rare though to get all-rounders that are exceptional although England currently has one.

I suppose my point is that in cricket it can be essential for poor batsmen to be able to eke out a few more runs because there is always 2 batsmen in the field and one may be a good batsman.

I suppose the DH rule is good if you prefer to see more skill in batting but bad if you prefer to more rounded teams as a whole?
notageek
Site Admin

Post by notageek »

Read that as Designated Hitler.
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
Spent
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by Spent »

cokey wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:36 am
I suppose the DH rule is good if you prefer to see more skill in batting but bad if you prefer to more rounded teams as a whole?
The DH is usually someone that isn't very good on defense, but you want to get them as many at bats as possible because of their ability to hit. So your not sacrificing defense by keeping them in the lineup. And your not sacrificing offense by having the pitcher hit.

Some teams use one player to be the DH everyday, usually a power hitter, while others prefer to have more lineup flexibility by using normal position players and rotating them into the DH spot in order to give them a day off from playing defense since its a long 162 game season.
Menelmacar
Site Admin

Post by Menelmacar »

The DH was an idea from satan himself/herself and was meant for old players that could no longer field a ball but was still able to hit.

There are those that say they would rather have a DH than watch a pitcher strike out three times a game. Let us examine that. First off, why should pitchers be terrible batters. It was not always that way. It is now a self fulfilling rule. If a player never bats, it is obvious they would not fare very well against MLB pitching. And that is the state of affairs in today's game. Some of these players have been playing with the DH rule since High School and the pitchers have not batted since. The Minor Leagues all use the DH. If a player gets drafted by a National League team they are going to have a steep learning curve. The other factor is strategy. Much is lost with the DH. As was stated in a Hollywood movie about a teenager willed a Major League team; when he named himself manager he stated: "How hard can it be, it's the American League." Now that brings us to one of the major complaints concerning today's game, and that is the length of the game. With Gen X short attention span people are complaining that the games are too long. As an ex umpire, I admit my favorite games were the quick ones, and getting rid of the DH would speed up the games.

One does not need to look back very far to see good batting by pitchers, whether base hits or sac bunts. But with the love of the home run and lack of small ball the DH is here to stay.
If you lack the vocabulary to hold a debate, it's easier just to lob a piece of concrete thru a store window.
-Mark Steyn
cokey
Extreme Unicyclist

Post by cokey »

I can see the DH being a good idea if there was a time limit
Spent
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by Spent »

cokey wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:54 am I can see the DH being a good idea if there was a time limit
I don't think that changes anything. It's all circumstances. A DH can ground out on the first pitch, or foul off 9 pitches before getting on base or making an out just like any other player in the lineup. It's all down to quality of pitching.

And considering that some games of cricket can last over a day to complete, I wouldn't think the length of game would be an issue for you. :P
cokey
Extreme Unicyclist

Post by cokey »

Spent wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:31 pm
cokey wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:54 am I can see the DH being a good idea if there was a time limit
I don't think that changes anything. It's all circumstances. A DH can ground out on the first pitch, or foul off 9 pitches before getting on base or making an out just like any other player in the lineup. It's all down to quality of pitching.

And considering that some games of cricket can last over a day to complete, I wouldn't think the length of game would be an issue for you. :P
There is a time limit in cricket though, a test is usually over in 4 days and very rarely goes longer. Baseball takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagessss

What is the point of a DH if he fouls after 9 pitches. That seems unlikely
Spent
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by Spent »

cokey wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:44 pm
Spent wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:31 pm

There is a time limit in cricket though, a test is usually over in 4 days and very rarely goes longer. Baseball takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagessss

What is the point of a DH if he fouls after 9 pitches. That seems unlikely
The average baseball game is about 3 hours.

Good hitters foul off "good pitches". You don't make an out by fouling off pitches, unless its caught. Fouling of a pitch is a batted ball hit outside the lines play. The first 2 count as strikes, but you can't strike out on a fouled ball.

If a pitcher makes a good pitch that's in a difficult spot to hit, but still over the plate, fouling the pitch off extends the at bat until you get a better pitch to hit. Fouling pitches is actually good, it tires out the opposing pitcher by making them throw more.
cokey
Extreme Unicyclist

Post by cokey »

Is a foul when you swing and it's not over the plate?
Spent
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by Spent »

cokey wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:01 am Is a foul when you swing and it's not over the plate?
No, a foul is when a batter makes contact but the ball lands outside the field of play, usually in the stands..and a lucky fan that catches it has a nice souvenir to take home.

A thrown pitch that is not over the plate and not swung at is a "Ball".
A thrown pitch that is over the plate and not swung at, or swung and missed is a strike.
Menelmacar
Site Admin

Post by Menelmacar »

I was surprised that the DH was not instituted in the National League this year.
If you lack the vocabulary to hold a debate, it's easier just to lob a piece of concrete thru a store window.
-Mark Steyn