LaTeX or alike syntax (feature request)

Share your feedback with the forum.
RoGeorge
National Metrics Strategist

LaTeX or alike syntax (feature request)

Post by RoGeorge »

I've tried a few ways to write a formula here and couldn't make it work. Not a must have feature, certainly a nice to have, but I never administered a phpBB so I don't know if it will worth the effort.

Is it difficult to add TeX, or LaTeX, or Mathjax, or something similar? May OTW2.0 have this, please?
Naib
Site Admin

Re: LaTeX or alike syntax (feature request)

Post by Naib »

Ooo good idea, love latex

But how used would it be? Over on ee.so it's critical but here?
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
dont_think_twice
Director of Sandbags

Post by dont_think_twice »

Naib wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:12 pm Ooo good idea, love latex

But how used would it be? Over on ee.so it's critical but here?
I think it would probably get used -exp(i*pi) times.
RoGeorge
National Metrics Strategist

Post by RoGeorge »

I was just curious if phpBB knows Latex by default, after I've found out that Jupyter-lab/notebooks can render inline Latex formulas when executing a markdown cell, if the Latex syntax is enclosed by $. When enclosed by double dollars it will render the formula in display mode (formula centered and alone o the entire line).

How often will be used here? Most probably rarely to never, but who knows.

Generally if you lay a stick on the ground, one day a monkey will pick that up and start poking around with it. :D
Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

I use Jupyterlab daily and its because of the documentation side of things and because it does mathjax is just great.
likewise ee.se does, which is handy for writing engineering stuff.

Everything else? joe-average struggles with the quadratic equation so i'm not surprise it isn't really anywhere by default.

I wish more MS-Office product accepted math quick insert outside of math blocks :( MSword and Outlook does, but Powerpoint and Onenote accepting j\omega would be really REALLY helpful
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
dont_think_twice
Director of Sandbags

Naib wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:18 pmI wish more MS-Office product accepted math quick insert outside of math blocks :( MSword and Outlook does, but Powerpoint and Onenote accepting j\omega would be really REALLY helpful
What do you mean by this? I insert math into Word and Powerpoint the same way: Insert -> Equation -> type. Is there some quicker way in Word?
Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

yes,
file -> options -> proofing -> AutoCorrect Options -> Maths Autocorrect tab -> [x] use Math autocorrect rules outside of math regions

This only works in WORD and EMAIL but damn does it speed things up if you want to insert greek letters, or write some simple equations. Since half my emails is filled with greek letter (omega for resistor or angular velocity, zeta for damping, pi!!! etc), this REALLY helps

sure if you want todo a proper equation you need the maths area and then you have to deal with MS twist on latex (that drives me insane!)

dont_think_twice
Director of Sandbags

Naib wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:42 pm yes,
file -> options -> proofing -> AutoCorrect Options -> Maths Autocorrect tab -> [x] use Math autocorrect rules outside of math regions

This only works in WORD and EMAIL but damn does it speed things up if you want to insert greek letters, or write some simple equations. Since half my emails is filled with greek letter (omega for resistor or angular velocity, zeta for damping, pi!!! etc), this REALLY helps

sure if you want todo a proper equation you need the maths area and then you have to deal with MS twist on latex (that drives me insane!)
Very cool. Makes putting symbols in so much easier. No more us for microsecond because I am too lazy to find the mu in that annoying insert symbol dialog.