Wikileaks releases "everything"

A place to have discussions about anything else
Naib
Site Admin

Wikileaks releases "everything"

Post by Naib »

Obviously some sort of deadmans switch over Assange

https://file.wikileaks.org/file/?fbclid ... bM46oHXWMI
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
e3k
Director of Sandbags

Re: Wikileaks releases "everything"

Post by e3k »

it seems it is DDOSed. do you have a copy?
#controlgroup
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

e3k wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:37 pm it seems it is DDOSed.
CIA? MI6? Interpol? :lol:
Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.

Local portage repo, opentmpfiles copy
List of wayland apps/compositors
Director of Sandbags

Post by ...54... »

some people are proficient at fighting the windmills
awillserver
Sanitation Engineer

Post by awillserver »

This seems neat https://file.wikileaks.org/file/world-check-2004.pdf there's been a website since 2004 that oversees the entirety of one score alphabets worldwide efforts on specific people. They are dedicated to the financial community, whatever that means, as to spy on people. Now more importantly the ican records for said website indicate that the domain has existed since early 2000's and is owned by Financial and Risk Organisation Ltd. That company doesn't actually exist though. I wonder who really oversees it....
RoGeorge
National Metrics Strategist

Post by RoGeorge »

I've clicked a few links yesterday, out of curiosity, and I suspect I've been hacked by some nasty malware.

The original wikileaks link was looking like a ftp with many directories and compressed files. I've only open 2-3 out of curiosity, didn't execute anything, only clicked to preview some pdf hoping to read something interesting, from random archives.

Went for the most attractive names, one file was called darkmatter. I hoped to be about area-51 disclosures, or something, but the pdf was about some sort of software exploit, nothing about space. Another one was called pandemics, and I hoped to be some revelation about the last 2 years, but the pdf was looking to be about yet another software exploit. Well, I wouldn't expect for any gov to not have surveillance mechanisms, so not sure why someone like Assange will put them there.

I have no interest in software exploits, so I kept looking, this time at single files only. One seemed to be a short movie, by extension, clicked on it, but instead of a video it was some sort of hack, because suddenly the login appeared (the login pass screen from the login manager). That was a very strange behavior, my computer does not just logoff out of of the blue sky, and anyway, a normal logoff would have shown the logout/restart/shutdown selection screen, it was a hack, so I've panicked, unpluged the computer and told everybody what just happened.

I'm sure that flv file was some sort of malware with a fake extension.

After that logout, my Ubuntu didn't boot anymore. I've tried a ZFS restore from the previous day, but it still didn't boot. Then I've tried booting from a pendrive and mounting the compromised disk, to try a manual restore from the previous day, but the zfs daemon from the pendrive was crashing immediately after mounting the former Ubuntu OS disk, so I've just formatted the whole SSD and start installing again.

I'm typing now from a USB pendrive, and thought I should take a pause from reinstalling/customizing the new Ubuntu and wrote this here. I hope only the OS disk was affected, so far the router and the external storage seems OK.

At this point I'm mostly concerned for some ransomware still lurking in the BIOS, but not only that, and thinking how to reorganize my computer habits and air-gap the Internet browsing in such a way that even if it were to be an encrypting ransomware, it would have no direct access to any disk.

Not sure which solution will work best while still using the desktop hardware and not some slow SBC, I'll open another topic for ideas regarding an expendable browser, preferably RAM only.
e3k
Director of Sandbags

Post by e3k »

RoGeorge wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:41 pmI'm typing now from a USB pendrive,
better than usb pendrive is a live cd rom. thanks god i have not clicked the links :shock: did you have noscript turned on during your session?
#controlgroup
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

RoGeorge wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:41 pm

After that logout, my Ubuntu didn't boot anymore. I've tried a ZFS restore from the previous day, but it still didn't boot. Then I've tried booting from a pendrive and mounting the compromised disk, to try a manual restore from the previous day, but the zfs daemon from the pendrive was crashing immediately after mounting the former Ubuntu OS disk, so I've just formatted the whole SSD and start installing again.
That's probably just ubuntu being ubuntu.
Foor stairs
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

You need to take a flame thrower to your computer, I''ve seen what happens when they get infected ...

RoGeorge

Post by RoGeorge »

mrbassie wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:24 pm That's probably just ubuntu being ubuntu.
The pendrive is a FreeBSD that I've tested a couple of months ago on a pendrive. Now, that I've chilled down, that zfs import might have been only my fault, I'm not sure if I've specified where to mount, it might have been the same path as the FreeBSD root files. If it were so, then probably I have mounted parts of Ubuntu root files to replace FreeBSD files.

That would explain why after restarting, FreeBSD was hanging with some error about unknown elf type 0 in /etc/rc, then after I physically disconnected the Ubuntu drive, the FreeBSD booted to a normal GUI, and a scrub couldn't find any errors on the FBSD pendrive pool (AFAIK ZFS auto-mounts all pools from the previous session, so it automounted ubuntu over FBSD files, hence the FreeBSD fail to boot). I don't have time to complete the new install properly right now, before Christmas.

Still using that FreeBSD pendrive now.

-------------------
Another thing I've noticed in this Firefox/FreeBSD, is it doesn't show some of the pics, for example the above link to

Code: Select all

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/thething/images/6/6f/Norris-Thing_head_%283%29_-_The_Thing_%281982%29.png/revision/latest?cb=20150720202355
appears like the generic thumbnail for a picture, but without the actual content. Not even when clicked to open in new tab, and disabling the addblocker makes no difference. However, I've just installed Konkueror and the same address copy/pasted shows the spider-bug from Aliens. :D

I don't know if two months ago the pics on this Firefox were displaying OK, didn't browsed much with it, and don't want to go paranoic. Govs know where to find me in a heartbeat, and this is an Intel machine, so I don't think they need to mess with firefox. I suspect I've got some nasty rootkit, and parts of it might still lurking in some piece of flash memory, in who knows which piece of hardware. I'll switch to Christmas mode for now. :P

By the way, Aliens was such a masterpiece of a movie, never seen that level of building the suspense, ever! :o
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

RoGeorge wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:38 pm
mrbassie wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:24 pm That's probably just ubuntu being ubuntu.
The pendrive is a FreeBSD that I've tested a couple of months ago on a pendrive. Now, that I've chilled down, that zfs import might have been only my fault, I'm not sure if I've specified where to mount, it might have been the same path as the FreeBSD root files. If it were so, then probably I have mounted parts of Ubuntu root files to replace FreeBSD files.

That would explain why after restarting, FreeBSD was hanging with some error about unknown elf type 0 in /etc/rc, then after I physically disconnected the Ubuntu drive, the FreeBSD booted to a normal GUI, and a scrub couldn't find any errors on the FBSD pendrive pool (AFAIK ZFS auto-mounts all pools from the previous session, so it automounted ubuntu over FBSD files, hence the FreeBSD fail to boot). I don't have time to complete the new install properly right now, before Christmas.

Still using that FreeBSD pendrive now.

-------------------
Another thing I've noticed in this Firefox/FreeBSD, is it doesn't show some of the pics, for example the above link to

Code: Select all

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/thething/images/6/6f/Norris-Thing_head_%283%29_-_The_Thing_%281982%29.png/revision/latest?cb=20150720202355
appears like the generic thumbnail for a picture, but without the actual content. Not even when clicked to open in new tab, and disabling the addblocker makes no difference. However, I've just installed Konkueror and the same address copy/pasted shows the spider-bug from Aliens. :D

I don't know if two months ago the pics on this Firefox were displaying OK, didn't browsed much with it, and don't want to go paranoic. Govs know where to find me in a heartbeat, and this is an Intel machine, so I don't think they need to mess with firefox. I suspect I've got some nasty rootkit, and parts of it might still lurking in some piece of flash memory, in who knows which piece of hardware. I'll switch to Christmas mode for now. :P

By the way, Aliens was such a masterpiece of a movie, never seen that level of building the suspense, ever! :o
Spiders don't have tails, also predator was better.
Foor stairs
RoGeorge

Post by RoGeorge »

I'm still curious about the implications, I've just searched Wikileaks 2021 December, and on Duck Duck Go it looks like this didn't caught the attention of mainstream media.

Online seems like everybody is talking only about the new Matrix movie.
Does this Wikileaks got any attention from journalists, or in TV news? (I don't have a TV)
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

TV News? They're too busy pushing the latest fear narrative.

Director of Sandbags

Post by ...54... »

no, they are discussing quadrillion new deaths from covid this year.
awillserver
Sanitation Engineer

Post by awillserver »

RoGeorge I also have opened a few interesting files and have no malware or signs of malware to speak of. I'm running a very very custom hardened gentoo install and very specific browsers to open links, not ubuntu shit. I wonder if you got hacked through cross site scripting via javascript? Because the files themselves don't seem suspicious after processing them through various pdf command line tools.....
RoGeorge

Post by RoGeorge »

In case anybody else have access to files, and want to try to reproduce, I was browsing with Firefox, clicked on an archive containing the word "darkmater" and another one containing the word "pandemic", and open them from firefox, they opened with Ark, and IIRC they were .gz files. I was expected documents only, but inside they looked like they were programs, so I clicked to preview the first file with a pdf icon I could spot inside the archive, to get a clue what's that archive about. Both were looking almost like a man page or a user manual, something like an exploit (or maybe a hardening sw against exploits), didn't read more than a few seconds, I was looking for documents.

From the single file types (as in not a compressed archive), I've clicked a pdf having "pedofile" word in the title, but it was not about Epstein, it was a single page showing a spiral like sign, but in the form of a triangle, not circular, and saying those are secret pedofile symbols.

The last one, was a .vlf file named something "Swiss censored ...something... .flv" and in the ... there was a name or a place I never heard before. I've choose open, and Firefox offered to open it with the player called "Video". My default player was MPV, but flv might have been associated with something else. I don't think I've played a vlf on that install before. So I let FF to use "Video", then after 2-3 seconds, instead of opening the player I've seen the whole desktop replaced with the GUI login screen, the one where you type the password. There were many other programs open when it happened (many FF tabs, an old excel opened in libre office, etc.).

Could have been as well just bad codecs going belly-up with some flv, but then I couldn't explain why the ZSYS restore from the previous day didn't succeed. (Zsys is a Ubuntu developed tool, to take automated snapshots and make restores based on ZFS commands). That Ubuntu was an experimental install - their naming - with ZFS on root, and on top of it I've installed KDE Plasma, default was Gnome but I like KDE more.

I've used Zsys restore a couple of times before, to roll back and undo any mess after failed installs (in Grub menu, the experimental ZFS Ubuntu has an extra menu, to restore either the OS only, or both the OS and the personal files) and it worked OK until yesterday.

I don't know what it was, but it made me realize I have no reliable backup, and ZFS might not be enough for a restore. :x
antae
Director of Sandbags

Post by antae »

I went through the filenames on that ftp and did not find a familiar word. Those files are from a parallel universe.
My opinion ^_^ may differ from yours. That's OK. Difference makes us humans, not robots.
RoGeorge

Post by RoGeorge »

Well, I've seen only plain English for the couple of minutes I've looked there.

Whatever it was, must have been something serious, by the countermeasures they took.

My speculation is that only the very early visitors seen the real files, then all kind of counter-measures were taken, including replacing the original files with something else (that would explain why my ubuntu died, and why the .pdf I've opened were nothing like a disclosure material), then they DDOS, and now you say they even garbled the filenames.
marcih
Oxford Comma Destroyer

Post by marcih »

Is this new and/or of any interest? A conflict between Freenode and Gentoo, unfortunately not dated so it's unclear whether it's the result of or in any way related to Freenode's recent change of leadership.
Bones McCracker wrote:It wouldn't be so bad, if it didn't suck.
Shta
Creator of Opportunities

Post by Shta »

Oh no, I'm behind on the news. What is it about?