Work

A place to have discussions about anything else
john-boy
Global Moderator

Work

Post by john-boy »

Been a while, since we've had one of JB's general musing type posts so here we go -

Are you happy in current job of work ? Or if retired (lucky lucky so and so) - were you happy ? There are folks, apparently, who view work as more than something to pay the bills (apparently)
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
john-boy
Global Moderator

Re: Work

Post by john-boy »

As for old JB - well, as I've said to a co-worker, sometimes I'd love to find a way to time-travel and slap that careers advice chap who said (and I quote) - "you like working with computers, why not try that ?" - upside the head.

Nothing wrong with computers - love 'em, could look at and pick apart bits of script, well SQL as that's me poison these days, all day long - but dear God - people.
Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

Present jobs ok
Bullshit bosses for sure that are inconsistent but the work is good. Back to traveling so COVID and business is picking up again if they are firing engineers around the world in aluminium tubes
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
flysideways
Creator of Opportunities

Post by flysideways »

I have enjoyed my career, not quite done yet. Sometimes the hours and conditions remind me that it is a job.
"My one wish is for Twitter Inc to be the most transparent company in the world," Jack Dorsey
e3k
Director of Sandbags

Post by e3k »

currently i am lucky to be unemployed. would like to start work from September this year. need some rest after the last job i had. no more meetings for some time. in the last job a burnout very probable.

my next job should be without agile/daily standups. not sure if there is something like that on the current market. and yes maybe i will focus from linux more on SQL too. it is my hobby but i had only one 100% sql based job in my life in 20 years.
#controlgroup
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

The problem with SQL is, generally, users.

Conversation goes a bit like this :

" This isn't right - that should be %X lower/higher. I know because I work with this !!!!"

(response)

"That's what the data says. Look " - (send screen shots, or when in the office turn monitor to user. That would be the user who normally camps behind my chair and WON'T LEAVE)

It goes backwards and forwards like some game of warped ping-pong.

And don't get me started on managers who, when you're off - don't run scripts and then claim that they're too busy to fix and it'll have to wait until - oh I come back and then have to try and juggle the 10000 odd things that have built up since I've went on me hols.
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

And as I'm on a roll - here's another moan - management, we're moving to the new cloud (vomit I hate that word) based office suite !!"

me - "Ok we've got several docs with a lot of VBA and a more than a few process which use COM etc. Is this going to cause breakage ?"

response - " Good point. That'll be looked at"

Just now - "We're moving you to the cloud !!!"

It hasn't been looked at.

Sob.
Leonardo.b
Oxford Comma Destroyer

Post by Leonardo.b »

I read about an IT engenieer who used to work remotely.
His company didn't require him to physically live in USA, so he moved to Thailand.
With a part-time job and american salary, he has enough time to go fishing in the morning, and enough moneys to eat at the restaurant every evening.

Let me dream... to live a long unsatisfactory life is a terrible way to die.
But I don't know any other way to not die young.
Smug
Oxford Comma Destroyer

Post by Smug »

I have not worked in 3 years. I can't do my old job anymore due to injuries. Doctor will not clear me no matter how much I shop for a different one and try to pay them off. I really want to go back it's boring being at home all day. I don't have much reason to get out of bed in the morning anymore.

Worst thing I ever did was being honest about the symptoms I was having. I hid them for a few years before I finally fessed up to the boss. They sent me to company doctor the same day. By that afternoon I was retired. CTE is a mother fucker. I've tried to do other tasks for the company I worked for but my heart isn't in it unless I'm doing my old job. They still pay me well to come in and train the newbies at least.
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Another work based question for you all -

We're all tech based here, one form or another - do you think it's important for a manager to have an idea of what it is that you actually do ? I mean not the complete picture, just a general idea.

Or is it acceptable to have a manager that does that, i.e. manages the workforce with no actual idea of the nuts and bolts. Is that even possible ??
saellaven
Creator of Opportunities

Post by saellaven »

A manager's job is to get their team to perform for them... You don't have to understand everything, but the more you understand, the better you can provide the support they need to accomplish the team's goals. Some people may just have a natural knack at how to do that, even if they don't understand what is going on, but the more you know, the better you can help.

That said, just because you may be the best (engineer|programmer|whatever) doesn't mean you can manage a team effectively. They're different skill sets.
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

john-boy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:15 pm Another work based question for you all -

We're all tech based here, one form or another - do you think it's important for a manager to have an idea of what it is that you actually do ? I mean not the complete picture, just a general idea.

Or is it acceptable to have a manager that does that, i.e. manages the workforce with no actual idea of the nuts and bolts. Is that even possible ??
Foor stairs
Smug
Oxford Comma Destroyer

Post by Smug »

john-boy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:15 pm Another work based question for you all -

We're all tech based here, one form or another - do you think it's important for a manager to have an idea of what it is that you actually do ?
Depends. I've had clueless bosses that didn't understand the details of the work that were good at leading a team. I've had bosses that worked on the floor for years and should have understood every aspect of the work that ran the business into the ground. The latter was particularly frustrating because he got off on the idea of being the boss. He'd do stupid things like take a customer to lunch and spend hundreds of dollars when we didn't really have the funds. He was always doing something that said "I'm in charge and flush with cash" when he didn't even have money to his name.

That one got taken in by a con-man. We stopped working for all our other long time clients to take on that project. We worked on it for nearly 2 years without any money coming in. When we finally got paid for half the work the check bounced. That's when we found out three other companies had been taken in by the same guy and all of them were seeking payment. By the time it settled in court years later the business was gone. We had to close the doors and sell off equipment just to make payroll. Everyone got 2 days notice that they were out of a job.

He went on to ruin 2 other businesses. Inherited a bunch of property and millions of dollars. Sold the land to fund his expensive habits. Spent all the money in a few years. Still walks around town gloating about how well off he is. Last time I saw him he was tipping a waitress $100 bill at the local diner. I think his mother takes care of him. I know he's still living with her.
Leonardo.b
Oxford Comma Destroyer

Post by Leonardo.b »

john-boy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:47 pm As for old JB - well, as I've said to a co-worker, sometimes I'd love to find a way to time-travel and slap that careers advice chap who said (and I quote) - "you like working with computers, why not try that ?" - upside the head.
How would you advice the young yourself, instead?

If I had to suggest something to the younger myself... probably lottery numbers.
I hate to work.
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Heh.

The younger me ? You know when you're young and in school and there's always a session where the teacher asks the children "what do you want to do when you grow up ?"

I think the rest of the class had answers, I didn't - said I don't know or words to the effect of. My answer now is the same " don't know"

That career's advice I had has provided a steady and good income - so I can't fault that, just hate dealing with people.

So my advice would be similar to yours - I'd say there's a small start-up, called Google - it'll start offering shares in a few years time, grab as much as you can. Oh and Bitcoin - that's in a couple of decades, it's a fad but grab a few assets there too and sell when the crazy is strong. Lastly. here's a list of horses to invest on too + lottery numbers.
Leonardo.b
Oxford Comma Destroyer

Post by Leonardo.b »

In school, once the teacher asked me: "What do you want to do in your future?"
I answered: "Nothing. I have no future. I want to die young." :lol:

My dream is to be a sheep breeder on the mountains.

Currently I work in a fast food.