White goods

A place to have discussions about anything else
john-boy
Global Moderator

White goods

Post by john-boy »

So as alluded to in the RIP thread, old JB's washing machine has died.

Got me thinking, does anybody actually take those "extended warranties" with white goods purchases ?

Growing up, my parents always would - I suspect they had memories of a time when things could be repaired and were built to be repaired. As an aside, I have a corkscrew that my Nan left me, must be 120 or so years old, not mechanically complicated I know - but it's solid. Not that cheap arse plastic metal that doesn't last five minutes these days. I still use it too.

Anyhow, whilst I was discussing delivery details for JB's next replacement with the nice sales lady, she attempted to get me to take out an extended warranty. I listened to the sales patter, whilst I worked out how much it would cost assuming that this Chinese special lasts around 8 years or so. Turns out it's double the cost I'm paying now.

So I respectfully declined, explained that it's better to think of renting white goods these days (you used to be able to do that BTW) and just gambling that they'll last 6 or so years.

I hear a lot about "right to repair" and I hope it does gain traction. It's evil to throw something away, that in all probability only needs a 50p switch or a £20-30 PCB (it's one of them, the error is extremely vague), I think it's a mindset that needs to change as well you know.
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
Naib
Site Admin

Re: White goods

Post by Naib »

I haven't taken extended warranty for quite some time as I either repair myself, take to someone OR it lasts long enough that I go "meh its time for a new"

I had to replace my washing machine a couple of months after 15years... cats ripped teh boot to bits on evening and I attempted to replace and fked it :( so I bought a new one... so much better (more efficient, quieter, larger drum)

Things are a lot more reliable than they were in the 70-80 when that became a good thing. Sure there are people that rag things silly or mistreat but if you look after it, it will either fail within the 1st 12-18months due to a build error or it will last 10-20 years
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

15yrs is pretty good - mine is a couple of months shy of 8, so it's somewhere to the left of the curve.

Looked after too I hasten to add, I think - aside from being able to fix stuff yourself - luck has a lot to do with it. Had actually planned to let it go to around 10-11 years or so and then replace anyway. That's the plan for my fridge/freezer anyhow (touches wood)
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
Henry Crunn
Site Admin

Post by Henry Crunn »

I usually do the arithmetic.
It works out that you pay for the machine several time over again during the life of the extended warranty.

As has been said, an early life failure is a warranty repair.
An end oy life failure is expected and you may even see it coming.
A mid life failure is unlucky.

I've never taken out these insurances.
--
You can't get the wood.
You can't get the 'shiver me timbers' wood' you know.
cokey
Extreme Unicyclist

Post by cokey »

I never do. There's usually someone who can fix anything for 40 quid
Ralphred
Chief of Unicorn Division

Post by Ralphred »

cokey wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:14 pmThere's usually someone who can fix anything for 40 quid
It's £60 now, due to inflation. TBPH £80 is cheap compared to a new £800 unit. I need to finish this post quick or it'll be £100.
Were Dante alive today, he would agree that the tenth circle of hell is reserved for people who have non-ANSII characters in online usernames.
cokey
Extreme Unicyclist

Post by cokey »

Ralphred wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:34 pm
cokey wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:14 pmThere's usually someone who can fix anything for 40 quid
It's £60 now, due to inflation. TBPH £80 is cheap compared to a new £800 unit. I need to finish this post quick or it'll be £100.
:lol: Yeah I haven't had anything fixed for 2 years.

Edit: make that 4 years, I forgot about covid