LED bulbs

Discussions about computer hardware.
john-boy
Global Moderator

LED bulbs

Post by john-boy »

OK - so old JB switched a 100w incandescent out a couple of years ago and popped one of these new-fangled LED efforts in.

Now the old school bulbs were something of a mixed bag, sometimes they'd last a year and go pop, other times decades (I had to replace a utility room bulb and I swear it's been there for about 25 maybe 30 yrs).

So this new LED, starts to flicker after two years ?! The cost ratio to initial purchase is in favour of the incandescent based on this experience. In fact I think you can still get them - "rough work" or something (?)
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
e3k
Director of Sandbags

Re: LED bulbs

Post by e3k »

flickering after 2y means trouble. i buy emos.sk
#controlgroup
Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

yup... the reliability of LED is shocking.. They have plastered over them "25Years, A+ energy rating" yet so far I am experiencing ~18months before they need replacing...
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

Led's are good ... but they need proper cooling/airflow or the longevity will be severely impacted. They're not suitable for every application, sort of the same with the cfl's.
Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.

Local portage repo, opentmpfiles copy
List of wayland apps/compositors
antae
Director of Sandbags

Post by antae »

I have one led bulb stopped to light. I disassembled it using a saw, and found that the problem was in a power converter. Leds were OK, I was able to light them from laboratory power source, but the converter stopped working.. Unfortunately, the lamp is not designed for repairment. When the experiment ended, everything went to trash.
My opinion ^_^ may differ from yours. That's OK. Difference makes us humans, not robots.
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

hmmm. It's a hallway/landing light - so there's plenty of airflow, actually I remember my dad buying a stack of incandescents a good few years ago, he was somewhat sceptical about LEDs. Might have a quick rummage in a few drawers tomorrow and see if any have lasted. That was the thing with the old type of bulb, as mentioned, sometimes they'd go pop - other times last ages. Thing is, they were a lot cheaper based on current experience.
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

antae wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:26 pm I have one led bulb stopped to light. I disassembled it using a saw, and found that the problem was in a power converter. Leds were OK, I was able to light them from laboratory power source, but the converter stopped working.. Unfortunately, the lamp is not designed for repairment. When the experiment ended, everything went to trash.
Don't get me started on that either - trying to repair stuff nowadays, it's all "sealed units"
saellaven
Creator of Opportunities

Post by saellaven »

I've had a single LED bulb fail on me in the 5.5 or so years that I've been using them (nearly all of my lights are LED, including my garage lights, which are direct wired with the old ballast removed).

I'm probably an outlier, but none of my bulbs were anything fancy. Most of them are Feit electric bulbs from Costco or TCP bulbs I bought off Amazon (the garage lights are Hyperikon). Many of them are even in globes, trapping some heat.

I still have a stack of incandescent bulbs, but don't have much need for them... I also have a bunch of compact fluorescent bulbs that I replaced because LEDs were better (especially at startup brightness). If an LED bulb does blow, I've been paying about $1 each for them, which they'll save over their lifetime in electricity.

Oh, I did have 1 garage light mysteriously fall out of the fixture, breaking when it hit the floor, and Hyperikon replaced it for free.
awillserver
Sanitation Engineer

Post by awillserver »

The best led bulbs you can get are those 12/24v DC strips or single bulbs you hook upto a car battery. If you phase change 120v AC to the 12/24v DC and then power the LED strip its ok. But some LED's hook them up in series so they can connect directly to consumer mains, which is a big source of radiation that messes with even partially sensitive equipment such as a frequency checker on a volt ohm meter. Then there's the alll in one LED bulbs that convert AC to DC, but the converters are garbage quality or designed to fail in two years like antae found out sawing one asunder. Some of those particular bulbs are using cheap SOC's to do the conversion which mean they come with wifi amongst other things, ontop of being built to fail in a few years.

The thing that kills LED's isn't the LED's themselves failing, as they would have to delaminate from very high temperatures and humidites in excess of 80C and 85% relative humidity, for months on end, to begin to fail https://www.nature.com/articles/srep24052/. The thing that fails is the electroncis or transformers inside the package with the LED. I've got some LED bulbs that have lasted me about five years and are still going strong, some of the diodes on the package of a few have failed due to getting drenched in water while powered, but some diodes on them still work as well.
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Well, I've put another 100w equivalent in - went cheaper (not dirt cheap) this time. Let's see how long this sucker lasts.
notageek
Site Admin

Post by notageek »

Two of my very expensive LED bulbs died last month after less than 2 years of use.

Scam of the century.
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Especially if you consider the extra materials in their construction, environmentally it doesn't add up.

Somebody is making money out of this.
flysideways
Creator of Opportunities

Post by flysideways »

When it requires legislation to end the production of one product in favor of another product, how can anyone expect it to be good?

https://www.epa.gov/cfl/how-energy-inde ... ight-bulbs

https://insights.regencylighting.com/st ... -bulb-bans

Feit, every one I have purchased has failed. Got a few as warranty replacements, they too failed. Usually you smell the electronics smell of death. We quit buying them.

Other bulbs begin an unacceptable flickering. Others will repeatedly drop to a lower intensity for a while, then snap back to the original intensity.

Every regular room light in my home has been led since they were available for local purchase, except for three hallway lights and the front porch. The big kitchen fluorescent fixture took a few years before it was retroed to led.

I never bothered trying to diagnose the failures, just expected they were the power conversion.
"My one wish is for Twitter Inc to be the most transparent company in the world," Jack Dorsey
Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

flysideways wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:43 pm When it requires legislation to end the production of one product in favor of another product, how can anyone expect it to be good?
Conceptually the LED is "better" but you are right. Via legislation they were handed a monopoly so they did not have to provide a better product and let market force migrate over.

So are these annoyingly high manuf defects due to their rush to provide an alternative or due to being handed a monopoly so they don't have to provide a product...

the amount I have gone through probably means I have "wasted" more electricity and contributed more CO2 compared to using incandescent. Such a "Brave New World"
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
flysideways
Creator of Opportunities

Post by flysideways »

Agree, I too have wasted resources trying to enjoy a nascent product that done right improves our lot.

In fairness, a few of our led bulbs have been trouble free, a few.
"My one wish is for Twitter Inc to be the most transparent company in the world," Jack Dorsey
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

And more LED madness, old JB was testing his Christmas lights out - they're old and incandescent bulbs, one died. I should explain I'm a bit OCD, I could hide the dead one, but I'd know it was there, it'd eat away at me. Slowly.

Not a problem, only have three replacements left - grab one, doesn't work same for the other one and the last - the contacts are a bit bent, I straighten one out, the other pings off. OK, I've had these for years (15 or so) - so a new set is in order (and replacement bulbs cost).

Only thing is - they're all LED. You can't replace them either, when enough die you chuck the entire unit (!) how is that environmentally friendly ? it can't be that hard to make some form of replaceable LED - or maybe it is. I dunno.

So, the first and SECOND packs that I pick up have exposed copper contacts, that to my mind isn't ideal - as in fire risk, I could be wrong. The shop assistant didn't seem surprised either. What the hell is happening to basic quality control (?!?)
notageek
Site Admin

Post by notageek »

notageek wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:24 pm Two of my very expensive LED bulbs died last month after less than 2 years of use.

Scam of the century.
False alarm.

Turns out I had some home automation devices installed within the switchboard, which was malfunctioning. Removing them brought back my lights.

The catalyst for this happened today when I turned on a light with three LED bulbs. What are the odds of three LED bulbs going out on the same time? Very high. So called electrician to investigate. Took him less than a minute to diagnose the issue and 5 minutes to fix the issue.

Problem solved.

LED bulbs are NOT scams of the century.

I completely and willfully retract.
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee