Recommend me a laptop

Discussions about computer hardware.
ulenrich
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Re: Recommend me a laptop

Post by ulenrich »

Henry Crunn wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:16 pm Gentoo on arm64 just works. Well there are a few platform specific quirks, especially around hardware video acceleration.
In the case of Apple and their arm64 offerings, it will be locked down tighter than a drum, so don't be expecting to run any non Apple blessed and signed code on it any time soon.
It is crucial to have arm64 in a laptop: You don't want a heater on your knees but in the cold months of winter. All other architectures Apple just has disqualified. It is non-crucial not having applications running natively, because emulations run better than they do natively on isa (intel-stone-age) processors.

You click to run the machine on your own responsibility security-wise and you have the developer tools: If there runs a xserver windowed on the MacOS, why not compiling the Gentoo portage tree applications?

Is there any other (not Apple) arm64 laptop ready for buy?And is the processor baked in 5nm ?

Wow, just found:
Alexander Graf tweeted a picture of what he claims is Windows 10 on ARM running on an unspecified M1 machine. Graf managed to virtualize the Windows ARM64 Insider Preview through the system’s hypervisor. This method allows the virtual environment to execute ARM code directly through the M1 without the need for emulation or translation (e.g. Rosetta 2).

Graf utilized the open-source virtualizer QEMU and added some patches to get everything to run smoothly. The solution isn’t perfect, but Graf claims it allows for “near-native performance.” If the consequent Geekbench 5 scores are to be believed, this is indeed the case.

After Graf open-sourced his patches, others took to the project and posted some benchmark scores, notably in Geekbench 4 and 5. The M1 holds its own in the virtualized Windows 10 on ARM environment, scoring roughly 1300 in the single-core test and about 5500 in the multi-core benchmark in Geekbench 5.
Most years we don't kick out sardonicly like 2020.
Henry Crunn
Site Admin

Post by Henry Crunn »

I'm not aware of any serious laptops with arm64 CPUs
There are Chromebooks though and they will run Gentoo natively, once you get developer mode.
Unfortunately, there are very few arm64 Chromebooks with open source video drivers and the binary blobs are not maintained.
They are supposed to only run ChromeOS.
--
You can't get the wood.
You can't get the 'shiver me timbers' wood' you know.
ulenrich
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by ulenrich »

Henry Crunn wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:19 am I'm not aware of any serious laptops with arm64 CPUs
In order to be a critic on youtube these critics need to come up with some color issues, because they have to say something negatively about m1
ulenrich
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by ulenrich »

Apple Macbook M1 fallout:
- Qualcomm wants to buy Nuvia for over a billion, because they want to spy on Apple
- new Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger

If you buy a new laptop with Intel cpu then ask for a 90% reduction of price