Webcams

Discussions about computer hardware.
john-boy
Global Moderator

Webcams

Post by john-boy »

Anybody know of any method to cause webcam output to distort ?

Genuinely asking on behalf of a friend my advice was a bit of clear tape over the lens and lower the lighting . It got me thinking, any other methods ?
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
antae
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Re: Webcams

Post by antae »

lenses will do the work, a piece of glass, bottle (can be filled with colored water), reflection on foil
Last edited by antae on Mon May 31, 2021 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
My opinion ^_^ may differ from yours. That's OK. Difference makes us humans, not robots.
Ralphred
Chief of Unicorn Division

Post by Ralphred »

john-boy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:37 pmany other methods ?
Vaseline
If you've got a laser pointer you can fk up the CCD with it, but it's kind of permanent (think screen burn on a CRT or plasma)
If you want specific lens style distortions then that UV glue used to fix the glass to the display on mobile phones is cool, but you need the UV source to cure it.
Were Dante alive today, he would agree that the tenth circle of hell is reserved for people who have non-ANSII characters in online usernames.
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Thanks both, yep it's a non-destructive method was requested. Might recommend a small dab of vaseline on some tape over the lens kinda thing.
RoGeorge
National Metrics Strategist

Post by RoGeorge »

If you mean some sort of a light diffuser, so one can still see through the camera that something moves out there?

If yes then make the image out of focus (i.e. unscrew the lens a little if the webcam allows that, if not stick another flat Fresnel lens with adhesive tape).

Another method would be to add a translucent layer (i.e. a heavy scratched auto-adhesive Scotch-like transparent tape - the glue alone might do it - or fabricate a DIY translucent cap out of melted PET bottle plastic.
Shta
Chief of Unicorn Division

Post by Shta »

It would be easier to come up with a viable solution if you revealed the purpose of this exercise (and possibly some constraints).
E.g. OBS supports filters. Haven't looked through all of them, but I suppose you could get something neat in software.

For hardware solutions you could use tinfoil mirror (or aluminum duct tape). Or a drop of epoxy resin, if you want to make it permanent.
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Well, assume it's a locked down environment, software wise - so I was looking to advise on non-destructive hardware tampering