[Amazon] Wheel of Time

john-boy
Global Moderator

Amazon's Wheel of Time

Post by john-boy »

Old JB he be seeing a few less than complimentary reviews - anybody taken a looksee ?
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
Naib
Site Admin

Re: Amazon's Wheel of Time

Post by Naib »

not yet. it's out tomorrow

I am really worried... some of the reviews have been less than complimentary BUT also almost all of them do not make sense if you know the source material so I am putting them down to ignorance and complaining for complaining sake

1st 3 episodes out tomorrow so bing watching time
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Naib
Site Admin

[Amazon] Wheel of Time

Post by Naib »

Well it is finally here, an attempt to bring to the screen an epic book series - 14 just for the main story (think LOTR but over 14 books)

1st 3 episodes are out but I have only watch the 1st as the rest of the family are hooked. There are quite a few little visual queues for those that know. They also appear to be going more for the story providing discovery of the layers upon layers... could be good, could cause confusion, we shall see but so far :)
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Ralphred
Chief of Unicorn Division

Re: [Amazon] Wheel of Time

Post by Ralphred »

The advert for it has dropped on to my screen a few times, thanks for the heads up I'll pay attention and maybe see if I like it.
Were Dante alive today, he would agree that the tenth circle of hell is reserved for people who have non-ANSII characters in online usernames.
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Merged posts -

So no sign of sjw pollution then ?
Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

Oh I forgot about that thread.

The thing about WoT is it is set where Misandry and a matriarchy.
You can't ram SJW when it's setup such that a subset of men are to be feared and killed. Likewise it delves right into trollocs and fantasy threat

But no, it hasn't. It has stayed quite close to the book tbf. The real test for SJWism will be when the Seachan appear ... I wonder how they will depict the enslavement (women of women tbf)

--correction--
They did make one SJW interjection when they proclaimed the dragon could be male or female.
The dragon is always male and they have already isolated the 5 key ta'veren and each have VERY specific and important roles
Now whether they are just playing suspense and a sprinkling of SJW or plan to gut this ... Who knows. If they gut this (and make the dragon on of the two females) it's going to cause havok.. like broken all the way through every single book

john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Interesting - I did read something about this show recasting black actors in key roles a while ago, Amazon are doing the same with the Silmarillion.

Everybody hold your horses - not a racist statement. I have a thing about following source material and spirit of time and setting in fantasy, recasting ethnicities is somewhat jarring. So for example, you have a typical early Middle Age northern European village and you have a scattering of Asian/Middle Eastern and African characters.

The above would work in a busy port at the same time period perhaps, not so in a backwater. In fact having one character of a different origin in such a setting is something of a trope, John Gwynne (great fantasy author BTW - highly recommend his new book with heavy Norse vibes) does this IIRC.

I'll pop Wheel of Time on me list (I dip in and out of Prime when I have stuff I want to order)
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Naib wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:11 pm They did make one SJW interjection when they proclaimed the dragon could be male or female.
The dragon is always male
Doesn't it also cock the whole pollution of the male side of the magic system up too ? It's been a while since I read, well half the series I must admit (have to get back to it some day)
Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

totally... it just does not work and it rips soo much up it's not even possible. The taint, the two sides, the fact the Red of the Aes Sedai hunt down to "gentle" (and thus they die) males
It's almost like they are are pandering to the concept while also knowing that they can't do it.

What REALLY odd is WoT and Dune both exist in a universe where woman pretty much run everything (and how misandry is just as bad) YET they still insist on doing bullshit like this... it's almost like they have not read or understood any of the source material

otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

Naib wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:13 pm it's almost like they have not read or understood any of the source material
I'm beginning to think this is a prerequisite for directors/producers/writers trying to do a book to movie translation :lol:
Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.

Local portage repo, opentmpfiles copy
List of wayland apps/compositors
Menelmacar
Site Admin

Post by Menelmacar »

I've seen every episode so far, and I effing hate it! I had been looking forward to this for years and it effing sucks! The casting is horrible! The only characters that comes close to Jordan's description are Matt, Lan and Rand.
If you lack the vocabulary to hold a debate, it's easier just to lob a piece of concrete thru a store window.
-Mark Steyn