Last film you watched

notageek
Site Admin

Re: Last film you watched

Post by notageek »

See it first and you'll know why he deserves it.
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
Morality124
Global Moderator

Post by Morality124 »

notageek wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:54 pm See it first and you'll know why he deserves it.
Like dont_think_twice said, at least Nolan sticks to original movies that may suck... JJ Abrams ruins classic franchises over and over again. Nolan self-contains his failures, and that alone is reason why he's not a problem.
"Put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea."
e3k
Chief of Unicorn Division

Post by e3k »

O.o
dont_think_twice
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by dont_think_twice »

Morality124 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:26 pm
notageek wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:54 pm See it first and you'll know why he deserves it.
Like dont_think_twice said, at least Nolan sticks to original movies that may suck... JJ Abrams ruins classic franchises over and over again. Nolan self-contains his failures, and that allow is reason why he's not a problem.
In addition to making terrible versions of others series, JJ Abrams also made his own terrible TV show.

Which gets to the bigger point. Nolan is a bit full of himself and a bit too into filmmaking tricks, but at least he has something he wants to say. JJ Abrams has nothing interesting to say.
notageek
Site Admin

Post by notageek »

Nolan also has nothing to say. He just does it in a more stylized way.

JJ and Nolan are two faces of the same coin.
"Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated, until defeat has been accepted as a reality." -- Bruce Lee
Morality124
Global Moderator

Post by Morality124 »

notageek wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:26 am Nolan also has nothing to say. He just does it in a more stylized way.

Tim Burton's Batman is closer to JJ Abrams than Nolan's Batman, that is style over substance and a screenplay that lacks depth, narrative payoff, themes etc.
dont_think_twice
Bride Kidnapping Expert

notageek wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:26 am Nolan also has nothing to say. He just does it in a more stylized way.
Fair point. Let me try and be more precise. Nolan's moves don't really have a point. That doesn't mean that he has nothing to say though. Sometimes the purpose of a film is to make engross you in a world, or to make you feel something. The feelings it generates can be the point in the movie. Plenty of filmmakers have made movies without points, or overt things to say. Fellini, Wes Anderson, Linklater for example.
Morality124
Global Moderator

Post by Morality124 »

Morality124 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:32 am

Tim Burton's Batman is closer to JJ Abrams than Nolan's Batman, that is style over substance and a screenplay that lacks depth, narrative payoff, themes etc.
Batman Begins built up thematic elements that were paid off later for example.
notageek
Site Admin

Post by notageek »

dont_think_twice wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:03 am
Fair point. Let me try and be more precise. Nolan's moves don't really have a point. That doesn't mean that he has nothing to say though. Sometimes the purpose of a film is to make engross you in a world, or to make you feel something. The feelings it generates can be the point in the movie. Plenty of filmmakers have made movies without points, or overt things to say. Fellini, Wes Anderson, Linklater for example.
I can relate to that sentiment and for that to be true, the director has to be a good story teller. Even when the story is hokum. I'm not confident Nolan, especially with Tenet, is able to achieve that.

We had hints of that (incoherence) in Dark Knight Rises but we excused it.
notageek
Site Admin

Post by notageek »

Morality124 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:06 am
Morality124 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:32 am

Batman Begins built up thematic elements that were paid off later for example.
Tim Burton is an artist. Even when has nothing to say, he has plenty to show. Each shot of his highly regarded films are masterpiece visual aesthetic.

Compare that with Nolan, who copiously borrows from David Fincher and Michael Mann.
dont_think_twice
Bride Kidnapping Expert

notageek wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:18 am
dont_think_twice wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:03 am
I can relate to that sentiment and for that to be true, the director has to be a good story teller. Even when the story is hokum. I'm not confident Nolan, especially with Tenet, is able to achieve that.

We had hints of that (incoherence) in Dark Knight Rises but we excused it.
Both Momento and Inception were well told stories. I didn't like the one about the Brits on the beach. Can't remember what else he has done. I've never seen his Bat Man. The last superhero movie I watched was Spiderman with Toby McGuire.
notageek
Site Admin

Post by notageek »

Dunkirk?

I didn't watch that either.

Memento was good. It was unique.

Didn't like Inception.
dont_think_twice
Bride Kidnapping Expert

notageek wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:35 am Dunkirk?
Yea, that one. It could have been decent, but Nolan had to make it unique and mess up the timing. Result was a boring mess.
notageek
Site Admin

Post by notageek »

For me, after Inception I stopped liking Nolan's films.

Dark Knight Rises wasn't very good. Everybody knew the identity of Batman after the end of the movie.
RoGeorge
National Metrics Strategist

Post by RoGeorge »

Un plan parfait (2012)
('A Perfect Plan' AKA 'Fly Me To The Moon')
Morality124
Global Moderator

Post by Morality124 »

notageek wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:20 am
Tim Burton is an artist. Even when has nothing to say, he has plenty to show. Each shot of his highly regarded films are masterpiece visual aesthetic.

Compare that with Nolan, who copiously borrows from David Fincher and Michael Mann.
If directors borrow what works and use it effectively while telling a good story, is that a problem? I'll take good writing over spectacle any day. Not to say as you note that Nolan films of late have been very good in that regard, but the point still stands. The story of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight will be something I'm thinking about for years to come... whereas there's nothing more to think about in regards to Burton Batman (even with the better writing of Returns).

Star Trek II did not have the best directing ever, but it's the writing that matters - lot of narrative threads woven, Meyer setting up literary allusion that are later called back to in the end, etc. Good directing without good writing is just carefully done cake frosting artistry without the cake,
Morality124
Global Moderator

Post by Morality124 »

Morality124 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:54 pm[...]
I'll further note that style over substance is such the norm now (see JJ Abrams) that I've even less time for mediocre screenplays. While style over substance may have served a technical purpose in terms of creative innovation and whatnot, that purpose is much less applicable today.
RoGeorge
National Metrics Strategist

Post by RoGeorge »

Morality124 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:55 pmstyle over substance
Also very disjointed is when movies are CGI over substance.

For example, in Godzilla vs. Kong (2021) the whole movie looks like a 2 hours long 3D benchmark video, or like a demo for the latest gaming GPU. :D Very eye-candy, the image quality and the special effects were outstanding. But all the rest was missing, except some left propaganda and unnecessary diversity quota.
notageek
Site Admin

Post by notageek »

Morality124 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:54 pm If directors borrow what works and use it effectively while telling a good story, is that a problem? I'll take good writing over spectacle any day. Not to say as you note that Nolan films of late have been very good in that regard, but the point still stands. The story of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight will be something I'm thinking about for years to come... whereas there's nothing more to think about in regards to Burton Batman (even with the better writing of Returns).

Star Trek II did not have the best directing ever, but it's the writing that matters - lot of narrative threads woven, Meyer setting up literary allusion that are later called back to in the end, etc. Good directing without good writing is just carefully done cake frosting artistry without the cake,
Not a problem, just makes it non-unique.

The problem I have with Nolan is that he gets pedantic with his stories. Leave something out for the viewers imagination.

I won't spend time discussion JJ Abrams. He's in Snyder category.
notageek
Site Admin

Post by notageek »

First Love (Hatsukoi)

Dir: Takashi Miike

It's one the more mainstream, pop movie from Miike. Good though but nowhere as terrifying as his previous movies.

If you're into a pop, entertaining Japanese movie, go for it. It's not exactly at the quintessential Takashi Miike material.