BBC licence fee in CHAOS

john-boy
Global Moderator

Re: BBC licence fee in CHAOS

Post by john-boy »

Morality124 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:09 pm
Ralphred wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:46 ambut as long as you only use DVB/your TV set to listen to the radio, you don't need a license.
What are all the TV use exceptions?
Pretty much as mentioned in the comments above, I did a fair bit of research before ditching my licence - even contacted Capita for clarification over some details (they never actually got back to me, I wanted something hard in email. Not a surprise).

If you watch a live broadcast in UK or watch BBC iplayer you need a licence. That's it.

Radio, catch up (providing it's not iplayer) is fine. Amazon Prime is ok - so long as it's not one of the live sporting events, this point gets a bit tricky, in theory if you're watching a TV show on Channel 4 catch up and that show is also being live broadcast - you're in breach.

What's not on is anything live broadcast, so local TV stations (Chanel 4, 5, Sky - even foreign satellite) are off the menu.

Anything catch up is fine. You can have a TV aerial, a satellite dish - you can even leave everything connected and tuned in. So long as you don't watch live TV, you're golden. Of course if you let an inspector in (and that's a bad idea), good luck proving that.

As for me ? I left the aerial in, satellite dish too. I disconnected everything and detuned. I don't plan on letting inspectors (salesmen) into my property either.

This is one of the reasons why I hate the BBC. I don't need to go to these lengths if I want to stop watching Netflix etc. I can stop and then restart when there's something good to watch, no questions.
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
Morality124
Global Moderator

Post by Morality124 »

john-boy wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:20 pm
Morality124 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:09 pm
Ralphred wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:46 ambut as long as you only use DVB/your TV set to listen to the radio, you don't need a license.
What are all the TV use exceptions?
Pretty much as mentioned in the comments above, I did a fair bit of research before ditching my licence - even contacted Capita for clarification over some details (they never actually got back to me, I wanted something hard in email. Not a surprise).

If you watch a live broadcast in UK or watch BBC iplayer you need a licence. That's it.

Radio, catch up (providing it's not iplayer) is fine. Amazon Prime is ok - so long as it's not one of the live sporting events, this point gets a bit tricky, in theory if you're watching a TV show on Channel 4 catch up and that show is also being live broadcast - you're in breach.

What's not on is anything live broadcast, so local TV stations (Chanel 4, 5, Sky - even foreign satellite) are off the menu.

Anything catch up is fine. You can have a TV aerial, a satellite dish - you can even leave everything connected and tuned in. So long as you don't watch live TV, you're golden. Of course if you let an inspector in (and that's a bad idea), good luck proving that.

As for me ? I left the aerial in, satellite dish too. I disconnected everything and detuned. I don't plan on letting inspectors (salesmen) into my property either.

This is one of the reasons why I hate the BBC. I don't need to go to these lengths if I want to stop watching Netflix etc. I can stop and then restart when there's something good to watch, no questions.
That anyone put up with this crap in the UK for so long is... disturbing.
"Put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea."
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Morality124 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:36 am That anyone put up with this crap in the UK for so long is... disturbing.

It's a generational thing, my parents age group tended to have the message "you must have a TV licence and if you don't you're a criminal and will probably go to prison" (you won't but that's besides the point) hammered into them. Also back then, TV tended to be better - hasn't aged well, but at the time it was good. So all in all, a licence fee wasn't such a bad thing.

I had some of that growing up, hence my extremely cautious approach to dropping my licence.

It will get worse for the BBC, youngsters don't have so much of this conditioning - plus there's so much choice. I'd suspect we may see some concessions when the charter is next up for renewal, in an attempt to stay relevant and sometime after that a restructure will happen. Just a question of when.
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
Ralphred
Chief of Unicorn Division

Post by Ralphred »

Morality124 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:36 amThat anyone put up with this crap in the UK for so long is... disturbing.
You have to understand the legacy, There were 3 TV channels when I was born, then 4, then 5. Two of these were always run by the BBC. When they were running 2 TV channels and 4 radio stations the cost was good value for money, but as satellite and cable TV became ubiquitous the value of the the traditional UHF channels waned. When DVB became country wide (5 channels to 50 odd+ OTA) paying the BBC to watch someone else's content suddenly became unpalatable. The lack of reliance on recording to time shift, communist opinions, and streaming services will spell the end of the BBC. They could survive and become valuable again if they cut back on the chaff, but commies can't do that so they will die to streaming services, or be re-born as a private enterprise viable in a modern media landscape with much union screaming about job losses and muh racism when they shut down the BBC pidgin website and have to use meritocratic hiring practices to remain viable as a business.

Just as a POI, Top Gear used to be their biggest export, but they lost the talent by letting a producer lie to them, who took a punch for being a liar so they had to fire Clarkson, the others left and an institution died, along with it's cash cow status for the Beeb.
Were Dante alive today, he would agree that the tenth circle of hell is reserved for people who have non-ANSII characters in online usernames.
Henry Crunn
Site Admin

Post by Henry Crunn »

Ralphred wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:37 am
Morality124 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:36 amThat anyone put up with this crap in the UK for so long is... disturbing.
You have to understand the legacy, There were 3 TV channels when I was born, then 4, then 5. ...
You bairn :) I remember ITV (TWW) arriving in Bristol in the mid 50's. Just.
Its not so much ITV, it was no TV for a weekend while my father fitted the tuner. That tuner was migrated from TV to TV until multi band tuners were common. With good conditions we could get a second ITV channel too (Westward).

UHF came along later to support the shift to colour. The higher resolution picture was a bonus. 625 lines instead of 405 lines.
For readers wishing to compare those numbers to modern standards, its 576i and 377i

Luckily, a lot of material was filmed (in monochrome) so moves to higher resolutions relatively easily,
Upscaled video tape, like Tony Hancock, does not fare so well.
Even so, you must watch 'The Blood Donor'. :)
--
You can't get the wood.
You can't get the 'shiver me timbers' wood' you know.
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

Morality124 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:36 am
That anyone put up with this crap in the UK for so long is... disturbing.
We're 'umble.