Brown Sauce

Food and drinks - alcoholic and otherwise
Tony0945
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Re: Brown Sauce

Post by Tony0945 »

mrbassie wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:58 pm Falls road or Boston? Nobody else cares.
He's South side Chicago Irish. I'm North side Chicago Italian. Lots of fighting between those in the past, but we had a common enemy - management!
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

Tony0945 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:43 pm
mrbassie wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:58 pm Falls road or Boston? Nobody else cares.
He's South side Chicago Irish. I'm North side Chicago Italian. Lots of fighting between those in the past, but we had a common enemy - management!
Ah so one of those Americans who's a lot more concerned with old grudges than anyone in Ireland is.
I'm north Birmingham Irish, not that that's a thing.
Tony0945
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by Tony0945 »

My polisci/econ teacher in High school had a scrapbook that he showed us. Lot's of old Help wanted ads from the 1930's with "No Irish need apply" in the ad. People hand those grudges down to their kids. My uncle had a first Sergeant in WW II who upon reading his name said, "I suppose you are one of those smart New York dagoes". My uncle replied, "No, I'm one of those smart Chicago dagoes." Not very wise as it put him on the S-list but he was probably there anyway. First Sergeant was a big Southerner who signed his name with an X.
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

Tony0945 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:32 pm My polisci/econ teacher in High school had a scrapbook that he showed us. Lot's of old Help wanted ads from the 1930's with "No Irish need apply" in the ad. People hand those grudges down to their kids.
The equivalent of "no irish, no blacks, no dogs" in England, which my dad (among many others) often encountered in the 60's/70's, while trying to rent find a room to rent. I remember years ago going for few pints in the Barton's arms in Newtown, very nice and old pub, miraculously didn't get blown up in the war, my dad was telling me the story of the first time he went in there and the landlord informing him that "we don't serve your sort", that would be in the 70's I think.
Maybe it's just him but he doesn't bear a grudge against the English as a people and consequently didn't pass it down to me. That said, I was born and raised in England and although I've never lived in Ireland I've been there (both north and south) at least once almost every year that I've been alive. I've met precisely one man with a chip on his shoulder about the English/British and he was a culchie who killed his own brother "in a fair fight" with an iron bar.

Anyway, there seems to be a strange disconnect between the Irish and Irish Americans. I assume because the majority of them have never been there.