Mead

Food and drinks - alcoholic and otherwise
john-boy
Global Moderator

Re: Mead

Post by john-boy »

Just noticed the reply, sorry for late response :)

Yeast? Erm, nothing too special, I've used a general purpose wine yeast, some use bread yeast.

I've picked up some mead yeast from a supplier, which I'm waiting to try. The thing is alcohol tolerance and working out how sweet you want the final product to be, champagne yeast should go bone dry.

So to answer any wine yeast, bread will do as well.
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
e3k
Director of Sandbags

Post by e3k »

i have installed some wine yest now to a water/honey solution. lets see. will give you report.
#controlgroup
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

e3k wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:02 pm i have installed some wine yest now to a water/honey solution. lets see. will give you report.
Fingers crossed :) Planning on keeping it just honey or adding fruit later ?

I've just got some (basic cheap honey) sitting in secondary with ginger/lemon peel added. Plan to rack that off on Friday, it's been stablised, so I'm planning on sweetening this one, with more cheap-arse honey. I tend normally to like dry stuff you see, so this is going to be a bit different. Probably going to need six months or so in the bottle mind.

Erm aside from that, I've put another supermarket fruit juice wine on the go, pineapple, grapefruit and apple - waiting for that to kick off.
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Also - whilst on topic, I cracked a bottle of the mead that I racked May (this year), I've got three of 'em left now. Delicate taste, I think I'd up the honey next time, but very pleasant all in all. I do want to leave one for the 12mth mark.
e3k
Director of Sandbags

Post by e3k »

john-boy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:12 pm
e3k wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:02 pm i have installed some wine yest now to a water/honey solution. lets see. will give you report.
it is slowly starting fermenting. probably i should put in more yeast.
the plan is to make it dry without the taste of sugar. but i don't know when the yeast will give up.
less sugar less headache. also i will probably taste it in the middle of fermentation.
#controlgroup
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

e3k wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:50 pm
john-boy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:12 pm
it is slowly starting fermenting. probably i should put in more yeast.
the plan is to make it dry without the taste of sugar. but i don't know when the yeast will give up.
less sugar less headache. also i will probably taste it in the middle of fermentation.
If its started fermenting, you'll be OK - honey can be very, very slow to complete. So if you see airlock activity and the brew is bubbling, I wouldn't worry.

What recipe did you use ?
e3k
Director of Sandbags

Post by e3k »

your 3-3,5 libs of honey to 5l of water ~. mine 900gram of med (the slavic word for honey ;)) in a 3720ml glass containter mixed with water. added some wine yeast. that should be able to ferment it to 10 - 12% of alcohol.
#controlgroup
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Sounds good, if you can grab some nutrient that'll help too - I've heard that some use bread yeast instead, the idea is that a packet or two (or a couple of teaspoons from a tub), mixed with a small amount (two or three finger nails) of boiling water, allow to cool and then mix into your mead will do the job.

and keep us posted :)

I'm glad I restarted this hobby, you get some less than ideal brews, but it's still fun
e3k
Director of Sandbags

Post by e3k »

what nutrients are you talking about. as simpleton i imagined that the yeast eat sugar as nutrient? something like vitamins or minerals?
#controlgroup
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Yep, pretty much , nitrogen and B vits. Honey has the sugar (fuel) but doesn't have the nutrition.

Doesn't mean that your brew will suffer, but it may stop a bit early. Here, I'd pop some wine nutrient in - or you could try the Yeast trick I mentioned above, or let her ride and see what happens.
Ralphred
Chief of Unicorn Division

Post by Ralphred »

john-boy wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:35 pmMost likely, it's the wrong time to try and brew without heating here in the UK - I've got my current cyser lagged up, but I'm thinking it's a bit chilly to start a brew off, especially something that's going to be as stressed as the above ?
I was looking into keeping a bee hive*, just for kicks, not to farm it. One of the things that stuck out in the UK was cold winters killing hives, so have a mental list of available products to make warming plates, plus I have exp with thermostats etc when I used to build custom cooling rigs for cars. Gimme a PM if that's knowledge you'd be interested in leveraging.

*I was all up for the bee thing, then found out is like £400 to get actual bees with a queen delivered. Sorry JB, no free honey from me.
Were Dante alive today, he would agree that the tenth circle of hell is reserved for people who have non-ANSII characters in online usernames.
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Ralphred wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:27 am
john-boy wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:35 pmMost likely, it's the wrong time to try and brew without heating here in the UK - I've got my current cyser lagged up, but I'm thinking it's a bit chilly to start a brew off, especially something that's going to be as stressed as the above ?
I was looking into keeping a bee hive*, just for kicks, not to farm it. One of the things that stuck out in the UK was cold winters killing hives, so have a mental list of available products to make warming plates, plus I have exp with thermostats etc when I used to build custom cooling rigs for cars. Gimme a PM if that's knowledge you'd be interested in leveraging.

*I was all up for the bee thing, then found out is like £400 to get actual bees with a queen delivered. Sorry JB, no free honey from me.
There's also varroa mites and colony collapse too, I'd have liked to have a hive or two in the back garden. In my mind it'd be a picture with bees buzzing about on a heady summer's afternoon, whilst I sip from a glass or two - I do like bees. Only the realty is, my garden is a bit of a tip at the moment and my neighbours would probably complain about the influx of stingy.
Ralphred
Chief of Unicorn Division

Post by Ralphred »

john-boy wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:09 pmThere's also varroa mites
My surface research warned about this, but it didn't put me off, it was easy to mitigate.
and colony collapse too
Hence the winter warming thing, I was was working out how much it would be "acceptable" to spend (mainly on batteries, so it could be solar powered and self sufficient)
In my mind it'd be a picture with bees buzzing about on a heady summer's afternoon, whilst I sip from a glass or two - I do like bees. Only the realty is, my garden is a bit of a tip at the moment and my neighbours would probably complain about the influx of stingy.
Yeah, that was my main concern, not them happily going about daily routines, but either lack of food, dependant on the adjacent farmers use for that field this year, or the big one if they run out of space they swarm, that's when stingy gets to be a reality and they go make a new home in your neighbours barbecue.

There were some comments about having to repair frames over the winter and such, but pottering around in the garage with
bits of wood sounded like nice low level maintenance to me. There was another option on the table about providing "nesting space" for "solitary bees", but it needs some more research on my end, right now it sounds like losing the front lawn and turning it into a tiny wild flower meadow might do the trick, with some decent bamboo stakes buried into the ground for "nesting" sites.

I've not given up on the hive idea completely, it seems that late 20th and 21st century building technologies have passed by the bee keeping community, I might build a 21st century hive just for kicks, you know, proper insulation, temperature/humidity controlled ventilation and warming. Maybe if I build two I can trade one for a colony...
Were Dante alive today, he would agree that the tenth circle of hell is reserved for people who have non-ANSII characters in online usernames.
e3k
Director of Sandbags

Post by e3k »

john-boy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:38 pm Yep, pretty much , nitrogen and B vits. Honey has the sugar (fuel) but doesn't have the nutrition.

Doesn't mean that your brew will suffer, but it may stop a bit early. Here, I'd pop some wine nutrient in - or you could try the Yeast trick I mentioned above, or let her ride and see what happens.
i think i will just let her ride. it is progressing. the jar is definitely too full. the yeast on the top is now building a foam cover. will have to taste it before it spills over.
==edit==
well the fermentation stopped abruptly. added some more yeast and now it is fermenting again. probably the nutrition was not a bad idea afterall.
---edit--
added diammonium phosphate and b1 with some more fresh yeast. lets see what will happen.
---edit---
that nutrients are a miracle. now it is sparkling like never before.
---edit---
still bubling but now slower. it is tasty now a lot of yeast flavour but less sugar.
#controlgroup
e3k
Director of Sandbags

Post by e3k »

finished. it is dry it is good. and ready for bottling.
#controlgroup
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

e3k wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:06 pm finished. it is dry it is good. and ready for bottling.
Good stuff, not tempted to back sweeten ?

How long are you planning on ageing ?
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

A quick update on JB's meadery, I've got a ginger mead (metheglin) almost ready to bottle over here.

Probably going to be the last homebrew this year, I run unheated and we're hitting winter.
e3k
Director of Sandbags

Post by e3k »

john-boy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:55 pm
e3k wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:06 pm finished. it is dry it is good. and ready for bottling.
Good stuff, not tempted to back sweeten ?

How long are you planning on ageing ?
yes i kind of miss the sweet taste when it was fermenting but i will keep it like it is.
as for aging.. i am not sure how long will it last. no conservants and not sure how high the alcohol level is...
#controlgroup
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Erm, you're probably looking @ something like 10-11 % (ish), which means it should be ready to drink sooner rather than later.

An option is to add a drop of honey and mix before you serve, that'll sweeten