Post by john-boy »

Ok - fish, with a cheese sauce topped with mashed taters. That's still a pie :

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/fam ... pie-recipe
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
antae
Director of Sandbags

Re: Italian's secret

Post by antae »

"10-100-1000," said Felicetti. That's the ratio of salt to pasta to water. So 10 grams of salt is the right amount to cook 100 grams of pasta in 1000 milliliters of water (1000 ml = 1 liter). 100 grams of pasta is less than 1/4 pound, so to better illustrate the ratio, multiply it by 5. That comes out to 50 grams of salt for 500 grams of pasta (which is slightly over a pound), to 5 liters of water (slightly more than 5 quarts).
Pasta's One Golden Rule
My opinion ^_^ may differ from yours. That's OK. Difference makes us humans, not robots.
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

john-boy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:35 am Ok - fish, with a cheese sauce topped with mashed taters. That's still a pie :

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/fam ... pie-recipe
No cheese. That's heresy.
Foor stairs
erm67
Chief of Unicorn Division

Post by erm67 »

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/m ... and-cheese

NOTE: actually there are a lot of italian recipes with cheese and fish, even with parmesan and fish like:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/parmesan- ... sh-3058409
whicj is a classical recipe. Actually nobody knows why some italians say tha it is 'immoral'.
My fediverse address: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net

matrix://@ermanno:erm67.dynu.net
dont_think_twice
Director of Sandbags

Post by dont_think_twice »

That is a weird article:
Internationally, there are many, many examples of dishes combining seafood and cheese, some of which are significantly older than the nation of Italy. There’s garides saganaki, a Grecian dish of broiled shrimp, tomatoes, and feta. There’s moules au Roquefort, mussels in white wine with a strong blue cheese, from France. Fish tacos and quesadillas throughout the beach towns of Mexico are often served with melted chihuahua cheese. There’s the classic bagel with cream cheese and lox from New York, or the legendary white clam pizza with pecorino romano from New Haven, Connecticut.
Why would it make any difference if a dish came before or after the modern nation of Italy? It is not like Italian cooking suddenly sprang into existence on the day the country was unified.
Della Croce says that the Italian objection to seafood and cheese is more based on preference. “The reason it isn’t done is, as the Italians will say if you ask them, they’ll just tell you that it really muddles the flavor of seafood,” she says. “Seafood is just not meant to be served with cheese, the flavors just don’t work together.”

The sweeping, confident belief that cheese overpowers seafood, or that there’s something inherently disqualifying about the combination, is flat-out wrong.
I see your sweeping, confident belief, and raise you a sweeping, confident, evidence-free belief.

Isn't it pretty simple really? Tacos are about the highest form of food possible. All tacos are delicious with cheese, except for fish tacos. Therefore, cheese doesn't belong with fish. QED.

NOTE: actually there are a lot of italian recipes with cheese and fish, even with parmesan and fish like:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/parmesan- ... sh-3058409
whicj is a classical recipe. Actually nobody knows why some italians say tha it is 'immoral'.
[/quote]
Does that really count? Parmesean breading doesn't seem the same to me as actually putting cheese on, or next to, fish.
erm67

Post by erm67 »

dont_think_twice wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:08 pm Does that really count? Parmesean breading doesn't seem the same to me as actually putting cheese on, or next to, fish.
It is not the only one for example another example, that I cannot find properly translated, is a classic of lazy single in Italy, pasta with canned tunfish and parmesan, cook the pasta pour the canned tunfish with all the oil on the pasta and grate parmesan cheese ... Everybody admits it is delicious

mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

dont_think_twice wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:08 pm Does that really count? Parmesean breading doesn't seem the same to me as actually putting cheese on, or next to, fish.
Quite right, it's envelopment.
Foor stairs
dont_think_twice
Director of Sandbags

mrbassie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:13 pm
It's almost British.
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

dont_think_twice wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:23 pm
mrbassie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:13 pm
It's almost British.
Did you post that from a dinghy?
Foor stairs
erm67

Post by erm67 »

I am making stuffed squid, all italian recipes requires to pu lots of parmesan cheese inside the squids:
https://www.nonnabox.com/how-to-make-calamari-ripieni/

just to add insult to injury I am cooking them in the air fryer :-)

That doesn't count as well since the cheese it's inside?

Parmesan cheese contains a lot of glutamate, just like soy sauce, we use parmesan in most recipes to add the umami taste, it is not important if it's actually cheese or not.

dont_think_twice
Director of Sandbags

That sounds delicious. I've never cooked squid before. Is it hard? Do you have to be careful to fully cook it, or is it safe to eat raw?
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

dont_think_twice wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:19 pm That sounds delicious. I've never cooked squid before. Is it hard? Do you have to be careful to fully cook it, or is it safe to eat raw?
It cooks in seconds. This effect for example (by which I mean the shape, I don't know what's colouring it in that pic) is done by halving the carapace (assuming a small beast) and scoring it criss-cross fashion on the skin side (iirc, might have been both but probably not) and then quickly pan frying on a high heat.

Also, if you complain about the texture in chinese restaurants you'll be thanked profusely.

EDIT: I wouldn't eat any mollusc raw unless I could smell the sea while farting.
Foor stairs
erm67

Post by erm67 »

dont_think_twice wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:19 pm That sounds delicious. I've never cooked squid before. Is it hard? Do you have to be careful to fully cook it, or is it safe to eat raw?
If you overcook it it will become too hard to chew, of course since it is served raw in sushi restaurants it should be safe to eat raw. but in Italy all fish sold must be blast frozen to kill anisakis (possibly on the boat to reduce also istamine). That is way there are no more than 2 cases of anisakis infestation per year despite that we eat a lot of fish, sometimes raw.

Anyway this was the first time that I cooked stuffed squid in the air fryer and well it is ok 10-12 minutes at 190°C, the recipe I used is simpler without olives, capers and a lot less garlic ..... but basically the same. Be carefull not to stuff the squids too much or they will break, cooking in the air fryer (or oven) is easier than the saucepan method, just spray some oil a couple of times., some people even deep fries them. A well known trick to make them tender is to freeze then for a couple of days, it will also kill anisakis if blast freezing is not mandatory where you live.

Another recipe I love is cuttlefish with peas, but there is no cheese in it ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/ ... eas/13824/