more homebrew

Food and drinks - alcoholic and otherwise
john-boy
Global Moderator

more homebrew

Post by john-boy »

It's been a while since old JB posted a homebrew adventure, so what's cooking at the moment ?

I have (another) mead on the go. Managed to snag some lemon blossom honey, I'm trying something a bit heavier/sweeter than my last attempt. Which was dry and a bit wine-like. I've got four bottles of that set aside, one marked up for Christmas dinner (it really is wine like and well, delicate , which is odd - given the fact it's honey based). *

Also just bottled a WOW, that's a wine made from supermarket juice. Designed to be cheap and ready to drink fairly quickly (although most say leave for a few months). My recent example - peach/tropical fruit combo thing, topped up with apple juice, finished bone dry - drinkable too (it ain't a fancy vintage by any stretch, but it's 90p a bottle and 12% odd).

* Talking about mead, I've got 1/2 packet of the yeast left in the fridge and I'm thinking about juniper mead for the next batch in a couple of month's time, yes I have been playing Skyrim.
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
john-boy
Global Moderator

Re: more homebrew

Post by john-boy »

So, Ive been experimenting with ratios of water * to fruit juice. In one corner we've got the wine I knocked up above, 1 litre of peach/various tropical fruits, 2.5 litres of apple, 1 litre of water and 750 grams of table sugar (1tsp of citric acid and pectolase). Cost about 90p (ish)

In the other, 4.5 litres of supermarket apple juice, fermented out as above (inc. same quantity of sugar).

Both fermented out to under 1.000 (first case a finger nail under), both are young (the first has a couple of weeks on the apple). Strange thing is the apple (pure juice) tastes a bit syrupy and after a few (ok several) glasses of each - I'm going to have to award the title to the water adulterated one. Which is odd, I mean wine - in the typical sense - is grape juice (with skins etc.).

But this is decent. I may swap the peach juice over with the apple next time ...

(* Of the recipes that I've looked at, some advocate more water, but 1 litre seemed to fit better)
Proinsias
Sanitation Engineer

Post by Proinsias »

Glad to hear, the WoW recipe and all the variation is fun to play with. I really need to get the finger out and get a demijohn of something on the go.
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

It's nice to have something that's cheap enough to experiment with, especially after the cost of a few meads.
antae
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by antae »

Thank you for sharing WOW recipes and other experiments, I find this very interesting
The fastest speed of a caravan is the speed of the slowest camel.
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

Just me musing aloud, glad somebody finds it interesting.

I used to brew up lager/ales with my dad, mainly kits and before I stopped all of this I started on using malt extracts. Got a nice IPA going too as I recall (it's been years).

I've been half looking at the state of beer brewing these days and it's all sorts of complicated compared to the wine. So I don't think that's something I'll be playing with.

Would be nice to fiddle with some grains though ...