Political alienation for FOSS

Networking and anything else
awillserver
Oxford Comma Destroyer

Political alienation for FOSS

Post by awillserver »

I just read a shocking statement on phoronix that the dude behind the lima mesa driver has appearently been banned by all the propietary graphics companies from ever doing any form of buisness with them. Wasn't lima just some arm gpu driver that got reverse engineered? I don't think i've ever heard of somebodies career being destroyed over such reverse engineering. Even Stallman was fine from what I remember. In fact the only example that comes to mind is wine which prospered in their reverse engineering efforts to the point microsoft uses it.....

Reminder not to associate your real name with FOSS projects.
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Re: Political alienation for FOSS

Post by mrbassie »

Foot Spa Admables.
cokey
Extreme Unicyclist

Post by cokey »

awillserver wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:10 am I just read a shocking statement on phoronix that the dude behind the lima mesa driver has appearently been banned by all the propietary graphics companies from ever doing any form of buisness with them. Wasn't lima just some arm gpu driver that got reverse engineered? I don't think i've ever heard of somebodies career being destroyed over such reverse engineering. Even Stallman was fine from what I remember. In fact the only example that comes to mind is wine which prospered in their reverse engineering efforts to the point microsoft uses it.....

Reminder not to associate your real name with FOSS projects.
Can you find the article because it would be an interesting read. I did a quick Google but nothing turned up
awillserver
Oxford Comma Destroyer

Post by awillserver »

phoronix DOT com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/opengl-vulkan-mesa-gallium3d/1331175-mesa-s-lima-gallium3d-driver-lands-4x-msaa-support
cokey
Extreme Unicyclist

Post by cokey »

awillserver wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:48 pm phoronix DOT com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/opengl-vulkan-mesa-gallium3d/1331175-mesa-s-lima-gallium3d-driver-lands-4x-msaa-support
What was their problem with him? The reverse engineering?