PinePhone

All things Android, iOS and manufacturer (Samsung, Sony) specific
Morality124
Global Moderator

PinePhone

Post by Morality124 »

I saw that marcih also has a PinePhone, so good enough to start a thread I say.

Planning to try Sxmo.
"Put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea."
marcih
Sanitation Engineer

Re: PinePhone

Post by marcih »

I bought the Manjaro Community Edition, thankfully no other major HW bugs have been found and all the subsequent CE's were the same mainboard revision; I'm not celebrating yet, we still don't know about the final release, but I can't say I'm having any buyers remorse.

I'm currently on Mobian, it's the most stable while still being usable as a daily driver and it also seem to be run somewhat competently. Manjaro on the other hand... And that's not counting things like their factory image shipping with Geary segfaulting, locale not being set properly for the GUI session or whatever this is.

The biggest issue at the moment (aside from the "no apps" evergreen) is the cellular modem: when the phone is in suspend, it currently takes at least 3 rings on the caller side for the PinePhone to finally start ringing. This has thankfully been addressed and is currently being tested and upstreamed.

Morality124 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:44 pm Planning to try Sxmo.
Suckless on mobile? I think I'll pass, I can't stand it on a desktop, let alone my phone! :lol: I've also seen reports that using the volume and power buttons all the time wears them out quickly, or at least the little plastic on the back cover.
Bones McCracker wrote:It wouldn't be so bad, if it didn't suck.
saellaven
Chief of Unicorn Division

Post by saellaven »

I'd love an open phone... but it needs better specs and to be able to work cleanly on my provider (Verizon), or it's a non-starter.

I currently have a Note9, which is close to a perfect phone in terms of specs (I hate, hate, hate the curved glass edges on the screen, which totally ruins the S-Pen experience, I miss having a physical home button, I'd like a user replaceable battery, and I'm not a fan of Android 9 removing the ability to record calls).
cokey
Extreme Unicyclist

Post by cokey »

I'd love to have an open phone as well but I need the Google ecosystem for work
Morality124
Global Moderator

Post by Morality124 »

cokey wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:00 pm I'd love to have an open phone as well but I need the Google ecosystem for work
There is an emulation layer for Android apps on Linux that works with the PinePhone.
Morality124
Global Moderator

Post by Morality124 »

marcih wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:23 pm Suckless on mobile? I think I'll pass, I can't stand it on a desktop, let alone my phone! :lol: I've also seen reports that using the volume and power buttons all the time wears them out quickly, or at least the little plastic on the back cover.
Easy to replace unlike other phones though
marcih
Sanitation Engineer

Post by marcih »

Morality124 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:32 pm There is an emulation layer for Android apps on Linux that works with the PinePhone.
"works"
Morality124 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:39 pm
marcih wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:23 pm Suckless on mobile? I think I'll pass, I can't stand it on a desktop, let alone my phone! :lol: I've also seen reports that using the volume and power buttons all the time wears them out quickly, or at least the little plastic on the back cover.
Easy to replace unlike other phones though
I don't think that's the part that breaks, it's the plastic pieces on the actual back cover. Either is easy to replace, yes, but I'd rather not have to replace it if I don't have to. ;)
Bones McCracker wrote:It wouldn't be so bad, if it didn't suck.