windows 11 has a camera as hard dependency

Post by e3k »

O.o
Naib
Site Admin

Re: windows 11 has a camera as hard dependency

Post by Naib »

1984 called
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
john-boy
Global Moderator

Post by john-boy »

erm. Why does an OS need a camera ?
Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood"
etnull
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by etnull »

Required, non-skipable Microsoft account is already no go for me, they want to be just like Apple, control entire ecosystem, have their own app store, cancel people with no remorse, but old heritage and need to be backward compatible doesn't allow them to do it yet.
I actually wanted to install Windows and use KVM switch, I just need some more professional CAD software right now. I guess after 6 years single boot Linux I now unaccustomed to Microsoft oppression so much that I don't even remember how bad it really was/is.
"You'll own nothing, - And you'll be happy." - Klaus Schwab, Founder and executive chairman of the World Economic Forum.
Leonardo.b
Sanitation Engineer

Post by Leonardo.b »

john-boy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:47 pm erm. Why does an OS need a camera ?
"The better to see you with, Little Red"
Naib
Site Admin

Post by Naib »

Well this is more todo with getting a shiny "Windows11 certified" sticker, why MS believes that to qualify as Windows11 ready hardware is beyond me
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

john-boy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:47 pm erm. Why does an OS need a camera ?
Same reason a gaming console does.
e3k
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by e3k »

the message is still clear. 2 amish boys and head of NASA.
---edit---

the video on the other hand reminds me of not a geeks matrix.
O.o
Ralphred
Chief of Unicorn Division

Post by Ralphred »

Well, this is the strongest argument for in internally facing, motherboard mounted USB camera I have ever heard.
If you position it right you could burn out the CCD with some flashy RGB ram too, double bonus.
Were Dante alive today, he would agree that the tenth circle of hell is reserved for people who have non-ANSII characters in online usernames.
dont_think_twice
Director of Sandbags

Post by dont_think_twice »

Ralphred wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:02 pm Well, this is the strongest argument for in internally facing, motherboard mounted USB camera I have ever heard.
If you position it right you could burn out the CCD with some flashy RGB ram too, double bonus.
Yea, agreed. What exactly is a camera anyways? A component that returns a 2d array of values upon request? If all the values happen to be zero, it’s just a poor camera.
etnull
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Post by etnull »

Apple says don't use a webcam cover.
Why? Well apparently it can damage your screen. And we all know how consumer oriented Apple as a company is, if you damage your screen you have to use Apple care, spend lots of money/time for repair or even be persuaded to buy a new one by the Apple employee, it will make more money to Apple. Of course they don't want that, they don't want your money, they want for you as a consumer to be happy and secure, with reliable hardware. So please don't cover your webcam, it is very unnecessary, you can trust Apple all your personal things.

"You'll own nothing, - And you'll be happy." - Klaus Schwab, Founder and executive chairman of the World Economic Forum.
Ralphred
Chief of Unicorn Division

Post by Ralphred »

dont_think_twice wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:47 pmit’s just a poor camera.
Or very dark.
I can think of a better product now: A USB dongle that loops a video/gif file, and just "pretends" to be a camera.
There an aftermarket for custom ROM's that have "your trolling vid de jour" too.
Were Dante alive today, he would agree that the tenth circle of hell is reserved for people who have non-ANSII characters in online usernames.