Why Windows is not free?

All things Microsoft
etnull
Director of Sandbags

Why Windows is not free?

Post by etnull »

They have advertisements within the OS, preinstalled crap, plus they track and collect user data, basically Google's business model, it should be free, yet it still isn't. Why do you think it is? Do they really really need the Windows revenue stream? Or is it just about the monopoly and they have no reason to give it for free until windows market share is 50%+? Would you switch back to windows as main OS if it was totally free?
"You'll own nothing, - And you'll be happy." - Klaus Schwab, Founder and executive chairman of the World Economic Forum.
saellaven
Bride Kidnapping Expert

Re: Why Windows is not free?

Post by saellaven »

Because people will still pay for it... why not double dip?

I have Win10 installed in a virtual machine for QuickBooks, just in case I ever need an accountant for my business (they all know QuickBooks and will scoff at your use of gnucash instead). That's literally all it gets used for... I also have it installed on my laptop, just because I needed to use it right away and didn't have time to replace it with Linux (and the laptop itself is only brought with me when I'm traveling, in case I need to ssh into my real computers).

But my OS history was TRS-80->Tandy DOS->PC DOS->OS/2->Linux, so I've never used Windows as my main OS... I find it to be completely clunky and in my way, not to mention a resource hog (my laptop has 16GB of RAM and it's 48% used with nothing loaded after a reboot). So no, I wouldn't use it as my main OS even if Microsoft were paying me to use it.
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

saellaven wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:09 pm Because people will still pay for it... why not double dip?
^This.
Foor stairs
etnull
Director of Sandbags

Post by etnull »

Have you seen this? It's so funny, Microsoft keeps throwing loads of shit into users boats, and they keep scooping it with whatever they have available to not sink. If people didn't switch after Windows 8.1/10 they are not going to switch ever, Microsoft can do whatever it wants.
"You'll own nothing, - And you'll be happy." - Klaus Schwab, Founder and executive chairman of the World Economic Forum.
Henry Crunn
Site Admin

Post by Henry Crunn »

You can use Windows 10 far as long as you like without a licence.
You don't get to fiddle with the settings that way and a few facilities are disabled.

If its what you want, it works.
--
You can't get the wood.
You can't get the 'shiver me timbers' wood' you know.
antae
Director of Sandbags

Post by antae »

That's clever scheme to spread their OS: individuals technically can use cracked version (because it is nearly impossible to check without violating the private property), so everyone run it, especially those who has no money to pay for a license, and then these people come to work at companies, and companies have to provide the same OS their workers already can work (or spend much more money for teachers) and thus the company has to pay for licenses (because companies can be checked any time). You can ask why this does not work for Linux. The answer is simple: people think that a stolen thing that costs money is always better than a free thing given away
My opinion ^_^ may differ from yours. That's OK. Difference makes us humans, not robots.
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

I remember early in MS's career, back in the dos days, they would always charge for an update, when a lot of other vendors gave out updates for free.
The updates weren't usually for new features, but more bug fixes, but the end users still had to pay for it.

I'm sure that fact that XP far outlasted MS's thoughts on upgrades, and something similar is happening to Win7, it became easier to sell MS as service, at least at MS corporate. And here we are ....
Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.

Local portage repo, opentmpfiles copy
List of wayland apps/compositors
etnull
Director of Sandbags

Post by etnull »

Previously you could refuse getting Windows license at a store, I did that for my first machine with Windows XP, now they no longer allowing it, imagine that, maybe couple percent of people buying pre-built PC are actually asking to get it wiped, yet they are still not allowing it, fucking monopolies, always screwing regular people over.
Morality124
Global Moderator

Post by Morality124 »

otw-refugee wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:43 pm I remember early in MS's career, back in the dos days, they would always charge for an update, when a lot of other vendors gave out updates for free.
The updates weren't usually for new features, but more bug fixes, but the end users still had to pay for it.

I'm sure that fact that XP far outlasted MS's thoughts on upgrades, and something similar is happening to Win7, it became easier to sell MS as service, at least at MS corporate. And here we are ....
There are already workarounds to install those ultra-extended Windows 7 updates on any edition of the OS lol.
"Put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea."
otw-refugee
Director of Sandbags

Post by otw-refugee »

When I bought my laptop a year or so ago, it came with Win10, not installed but available to install on the disk. Since it was a rotating disk I went ahead and put an ssd in it instead. Now it dual boots win7/linux. F win10
Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.

Local portage repo, opentmpfiles copy
List of wayland apps/compositors
mrbassie
Director of Sandbags

Post by mrbassie »

otw-refugee wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:44 pm When I bought my laptop a year or so ago, it came with Win10, not installed but available to install on the disk. Since it was a rotating disk I went ahead and put an ssd in it instead. Now it dual boots win7/linux. F win10
Tbh it's not that bad once you get rid of all the shitty metro apps and sort out the update mess. My only real gripe is having two settings thingies.
Foor stairs